Author Topic: 500 Internal Server Error upon installing 0.3 Stable  (Read 5938 times)

Offline beatnik

500 Internal Server Error upon installing 0.3 Stable
« on: September 05, 2009, 11:13:06 AM »
This is about RC 0.3 Stable, not RC 0.3rc1 (no drop-down prefix for stable just yet.)

I have RC 0.2.2 Stable installed.  I just uploaded the RC 0.3 Stable files to a new folder; when I go to http://my-url-to-roundcubemail/installer/, I get a 500 Internal Server Error plus a message stating "Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."
I looked at the error log and it has a file named .htaccess within the Log folder.  This file contains the following:

Order allow,deny
Deny from all

I looked at the .htaccess files on my webserver root, my RC 0.2.2, and RC 0.3 folders.  The RC 0.2.2 file has the following lines at the bottom:

Order deny,allow
Allow from all

The other two files have no mention of deny or allow.  Adding either set of two lines (as specified in the 0.3 error log OR the lines from the RC 0.2.2 .htaccess file) has no result, the 500 Internal Server Error still comes up when I point my browser to my new RC installation.

Any ideas on what's going on?  I'm out of my league...

Thanks in advance!

Offline martensson

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 06:13:18 AM »
beatnik,

Have you looked into the logfiles of apache/roundcube?  What do they say?

Offline beatnik

Apache error log
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 05:44:48 PM »
Martensson,

Here's what I see when I look at the error log (via CPanel):

[Sun Sep  6 14:39:41 2009] [alert] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] /home/mywebsite/public_html/roundcubemail-0-3/.htaccess: Header takes two or three arguments, an action, header and value

Does that help diagnose the problem?  Thanks for your help...

Offline aberkvam

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 03:46:56 PM »
It looks like the .htaccess file included with RoundCube is not compatible with Apache 1.3.  Specifically, the following section:

Code: [Select]
<IfModule mod_headers.c>
# replace 'append' with 'merge' for Apache version 2.2.9 and later
Header append Cache-Control public env=!NO_CACHE
</IfModule>

The Apache 1.3 syntax for the Header directive is:

Header set|append|add header value

The Apache 2.0 syntax for the Header directive is:

Header [condition] set|append|add|unset|echo header [value] [env=[!]variable]

Commenting out the listed section (or even just the header line) will allow RoundCube to load without an error.  However that may cause other problems since I assume the line is there for a reason.

Maybe a RoundCube developer will chime in with an appropriate fix for people running Apache 1.3 servers.

Andy

Offline beatnik

Commenting out code corrects login problem, but...
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 06:26:50 PM »
Andy,
Thanks... commenting out the offending line allows me to login, but now I'm having errors (Server Error!  SERVICE CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE!) when I click on folders that contain messages.  I also get SERVICE CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE! Error No. [500] when I send a message.
Maybe this is related to commenting out the line, or maybe not...
Suffice to say, I'm disappointed, as I was looking forward to using this new version with some of the plugins, which contain features I've wanted to implement.

Offline dwek

SERVICE CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE! - Error No. [500]
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 03:29:17 AM »
I´m getting the same errors and have tried everything on this page and from many other similar posts.
This is frustrating as I will be traveling next week and want to check my email remotely.

I can seem to find anything in the logs.
Any thoughts?

Quote from: beatnik;21185
Andy,
Thanks... commenting out the offending line allows me to login, but now I'm having errors (Server Error!  SERVICE CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE!) when I click on folders that contain messages.  I also get SERVICE CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE! Error No. [500] when I send a message.
Maybe this is related to commenting out the line, or maybe not...
Suffice to say, I'm disappointed, as I was looking forward to using this new version with some of the plugins, which contain features I've wanted to implement.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 03:31:04 AM by dwek »

Offline dwek

rename .htaccess to remove Error No. [500]
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 03:42:32 AM »
Thought I would rename the .htaccess.
This didn't help.

Quote from: dwek;21785
I´m getting the same errors and have tried everything on this page and from many other similar posts.
This is frustrating as I will be traveling next week and want to check my email remotely.

I can seem to find anything in the logs.
Any thoughts?

Offline beatnik

0.3.1 eliminated problem
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 09:43:22 AM »
I just uploaded and installed Roundcubemail 0.3.1 and the problem has disappeared.  I didn't do anything different, so I assume something in the latest release addressed whatever was causing my problem.