Author Topic: using roundcube on inmotion hosting server  (Read 12240 times)

Offline ahamm

using roundcube on inmotion hosting server
« on: October 29, 2009, 09:06:41 AM »
Does anyone else use roundcube as installed by inmotion hosting? I'd be interested to know how you find it. I find it rather slow.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 09:40:16 AM »
What functions do you find slow? If you do your own install you could work on the performance Howto_Performance ? Roundcube Webmail

Offline lenwbrown

Initial Installation Error
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:43:47 PM »
I keep seeing this forum post coming up when I search Google for "InMotion Roundcube" so I figured I'd reply here to try to make it a more qualified match.

I use InMotion Webhosting and love them.  Running two lead domains and redirecting about 10 other domains to the two leads.

I've used RoundCube through InMotion's default webmail link-through (my domain name, slash, then "webmail" and the first time it takes me to a CPanel page to determine which webmail application I'd like to use as default, then just goes to that default choice from then on).

RoundCube is GREAT for me, and works swiftly enough and has great graphics.  But I want to run it as an enhancement to my domain directly and not through my webhosts own installation.

So I uploaded the latest RoundCube (0.3.1) and set up a MySQL database for it, and then I navigate to mydomain.com/webmail/installer/welcome.html and am presented with the Interactive Installer to set up RoundCube.  But when I click the START INSTALLATION button on that page, I get the following error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 262144 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 7680 bytes) in /home/XXXXXXXX/public_html/webmail/program/include/main.inc  on line 91 (XXXXXXXX is, obviously, my username/domain directory on my webhost's server).

I do not experience this issue above when trying out a RoundCube install locally using XAMPP and everything sets up perfectly, following the INSTALL information included with RoundCube.  I can run RoundCube on a local server with all IMAP/SMTP info given and it runs flawlessly there.  So I know how to install Roundcube, at least when I have hands-on access to the web-server.

Any suggestions as to why I'm getting the above error when trying to run the installer remotely on my webhost?  And, more importantly, what action I can take to correct it?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:45:57 PM by lenwbrown »

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 12:20:34 AM »
Its running out of memory, try increasing the memory_limit in the .htaccess

Offline lenwbrown

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 02:15:44 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I've never had to edit .htaccess files before, so please bear with me.  Here is a paste of the .htaccess in question:

Code: [Select]
# AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
AddType text/x-component .htc

<IfModule mod_php5.c>
php_flag display_errors Off
php_flag log_errors On
# php_value error_log logs/errors

php_value upload_max_filesize 5M
php_value post_max_size 6M
php_value memory_limit 64M

php_flag zlib.output_compression Off
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc Off
php_flag magic_quotes_runtime Off
php_flag zend.ze1_compatibility_mode Off
php_flag suhosin.session.encrypt Off

php_value session.auto_start 0
php_value session.gc_maxlifetime 21600
php_value session.gc_divisor 500
php_value session.gc_probability 1

# http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=30766
php_value mbstring.func_overload 0
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^favicon.ico$ skins/default/images/favicon.ico
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_headers.c>
# replace 'append' with 'merge' for Apache version 2.2.9 and later
#Header append Cache-Control public env=!NO_CACHE
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_expires.c>
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresDefault &quot;access plus 1 month&quot;
</IfModule>

FileETag MTime Size

All I see which might apply is:

php_value   upload_max_filesize   5M
php_value   post_max_size      6M
php_value   memory_limit      64M

But that looks ok to me.  Am I missing something?  Thanks!

Offline lenwbrown

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 02:21:47 AM »
I just changed it to 128M and overwrote the original but no difference.  do I need more allocation?

No wait, I tried one last thing during writing this post.

I completely deleted the .htaccess altogether and refreshed and am proceeding through installation without any issues.  Not sure how that helped but without any .htaccess it is progressing without any complaints now.

Offline lenwbrown

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 02:38:22 AM »
Final update for those interested...

Again, I am using InMotion Webhosting service.  I installed RoundCube by uploading it and then making the temp and logs directories writable.

I eliminated the .htaccess file from the RoundCube main directory and RoundCube installer directory.  I then proceeded to run the installation by navigating my browser to the installer directory and following the onstreen prompts.

I finished that, then deleted the installer directory for security.

I just logged into Roundcube (http://mydomain.com/email) and logged in using my email account username and password.  Got straight to my inbox and sent and received email as a test.  Everything seems to function perfectly.

Not sure if I'm rendered vulnerable in any way by not having any .htaccess files present but this is the first time I've gotten RoundCube to run without throwing any errors or other issues on my remote domain server so I'm pretty happy at the moment anyway.

Thanks for the mention about the .htaccess file, skaero.  At least that gave me the knowledge of what exactly it was causing the issue in the first place!

Offline cjr181

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 10:57:56 AM »
Len,
If you set the memory_limit to 16777216M (or higher) it will work fine, and you can keep your .htaccess file.  Also, you may want to consider accessing your webmail with https://

CJ

Offline keiooz

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 06:00:44 AM »
I have very less knowledge about Roundcube. Can please onyone tell me what the additional benifits we will get from Roundcube :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 06:44:44 AM by skaero »