Author Topic: WAP?  (Read 8553 times)

Offline Xiode

WAP?
« on: September 19, 2006, 09:17:42 AM »
Is this something I could be looking forward to? Any plans on making roundcube work on wap?

Offline RolfXXL

Re: WAP?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 09:51:42 AM »
Personally, i think one of the major pro`s of RoundCube is its really nice and easy to handle design!

So when cutting it to wap, what to do with this really nice design?

So, personally, i think it`s useless at this point of development.

But, just my 2 cents ;-)

Offline yllar

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 10:08:59 AM »
it has been talked before and general answer is "no", because RC depends on javascript and few (if any) phone browsers support it fully.
irc://irc.freenode.net:6667/#roundcube

Offline Xiode

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 03:19:01 PM »
Then really Roundcube is Useless. I was really hoping for a different reply. A design is useless if there isn't functionality... I think you should move forward on WAP dev. You don't need a lot of flashy BS in order to get functionality from your phone. It's a phone. Not a laptop. Maybe make it an addon. have a php file called wap.php as a translator. call it from you phone as domain.com/mail/wap.php... Even now I can login to my hotmail from my phone. It isn't the full thing. But it works. Nicely too. It gets the job done when I need it.

Offline bpat1434

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 03:27:30 PM »
Ahem.... as stated numerous times everywhere in the Users list, Dev list, and on this forum:
Roundcube Webmail is a Web 2.0 application that is making the desktop move to the internet.

So, it uses JavaScript to make requests in the background to check for messages, as well as do 99% of the functionality. Yes, it is possible to make a WAP addon, but why? For what point and purpose? The draw of Roundcube is the design, fluidity, and functionality of the system. WAP would destroy the design, fluidity, and functionality all at once. Basically, with WAP you'd get text with links. Even then, subject lines longer than "Re: Uselessness" would wrap onto two or three lines.

Honestly, if you use Roundcube, you're more than likely using a laptop or desktop. If you want WAP functionality, find a WAP mail program. Or use the one in your phone. Developing for WAP would essentially fork the current build system, which is something we can't afford right now.

Offline TazUk

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 01:14:24 PM »
Quote from: Xiode
Then really Roundcube is Useless.

For your needs maybe, for other people it's far from useless ::)

You don't need a lot of flashy BS in order to get functionality from your phone. It's a phone. Not a laptop.

I don't see anything in RoundCube that's flashy, it requires Javascript so if you phone supports that fully then it will work, unfortunately most don't. That's more a limitation of phone based browsers than a fault with RoundCube itself.

Offline Deadman

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 12:06:29 AM »
I think people are getting a bit testy on this subject. I will throw my 2 cents in.

WAP Email is actually very beneficial to people who are on the road and need quick access to email. I do some field work and it is much easier when riding in a taxi, or standing in line somewhere to check the email via my Black Berry or WAP enabled phone. Especially when it is a fairly critical issue I am waiting for something on. So does WAP email have alot of use? Definately, and anyone who does not see that is not in the same kind of work I am in.

Now saying that, does that mean it should be part of the core functionality of RoundCube? Maybe, but a plugin or addon would probably be a better area to put it. WAP email you are not relying on the desktop app feel as much as just getting the message and maybe composing a simple email. This could be done with an addon/plugin more efficiently than trying to write it into the core program, at least at this juncture. To me the most omportant thing when developing a program like this is to not get scope creep. Focus one what you set out to deliver and deliver it. Worry about something like this after the major milestone is complete (version 1.0 gold, etc.).

If someone seeks this feature and wants it bad either write it yourself or get someone you know to do it. If you write it well enough and enough people like the idea, then it has a chance to maybe get picked up in future releases. That is the beauty of open-source.

I will step off of my soap box now. RoundCube as alot going for it. It will never be everything to everyone however, that is impossible.

Offline Slug

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 07:17:56 AM »
Quote from: Deadman
WAP Email is actually very beneficial to people who are on the road and need quick access to email. I do some field work and it is much easier when riding in a taxi, or standing in line somewhere to check the email via my Black Berry or WAP enabled phone. Especially when it is a fairly critical issue I am waiting for something on. So does WAP email have alot of use? Definately, and anyone who does not see that is not in the same kind of work I am in.

I, like yourself use mobile email on a daily, if not hourly basis via my Moto A1000. My phone just like yours has its very own email client installed, that works fantasic. So I am at a total loss why I would want to use roundcube on my phone to check my mail. Is'nt this just doubling up for the sake of it ? why would I use a gutted and crippled roundcube when I can use what I already have ?

Now saying that, does that mean it should be part of the core functionality of RoundCube? Maybe, but a plugin or addon would probably be a better area to put it. WAP email you are not relying on the desktop app feel as much as just getting the message and maybe composing a simple email. This could be done with an addon/plugin more efficiently than trying to write it into the core program, at least at this juncture. To me the most omportant thing when developing a program like this is to not get scope creep. Focus one what you set out to deliver and deliver it. Worry about something like this after the major milestone is complete (version 1.0 gold, etc.).

I honestly believe that what you are asking is not needed, as once again my A1000 has everything roundcube has (address book, email client etc) So I dont see what I would be gaining if the developers diverted course.

I will step off of my soap box now. RoundCube as alot going for it. It will never be everything to everyone however, that is impossible.

Agreed, it will not be everything to everyone. I am not having a go at you, but I think people need to understand that this app does not belong on a phone.

Michael
Roundcube SVN 1335|PHP 5.2.4|hMailServer 5|Win 2003 SP2|IIS 6

Offline TazUk

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 02:58:15 PM »
WAP Email is actually very beneficial to people who are on the road and need quick access to email.

No one here is arguing against the need for email access on a high end phone/smartphone, the point that was being made was Roundcube is useless because you can't use it with from a phone. As Slug has already pointed out if email on the move is important to you then you would already have your phone/smartphone's email client setup for this purpose. Webmail is generally used when your using someone elses PC and so setting up an email client would not be appropriate, most people have a mobile phone so it's unlikely they would need to check their email on somebody elses.

Offline jernejp

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 11:53:49 AM »
My friend wrote an Python script to be WAP IMAP reader, so check his page and try it.

http://ai.ijs.si/jure/mir/

It worked just fine and for basic usage was just fine.

Offline Deadman

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 03:55:14 PM »
Quote from: TazUk
WAP Email is actually very beneficial to people who are on the road and need quick access to email.

No one here is arguing against the need for email access on a high end phone/smartphone, the point that was being made was Roundcube is useless because you can't use it with from a phone. As Slug has already pointed out if email on the move is important to you then you would already have your phone/smartphone's email client setup for this purpose. Webmail is generally used when your using someone elses PC and so setting up an email client would not be appropriate, most people have a mobile phone so it's unlikely they would need to check their email on somebody elses.

I definately do not think it is a killer for RoundCube. My main point was for the fact that it should be an add-on at first and could be done as a third party add-on. I do not think it is a requirement for RC ever. Just a nice to have feature. Your point about checking webmail is a good point in most cases. However several clients that I have setup do not have ports open to access webmail. Instead I setup RoundCube on a server and they login to that. RoundCube then is connecting to the mail server behind the scenes not over the internet. I could open the ports for a phone to access the mail and have when requested. I have also implemented WAP email scripts and set them up similiar to RoundCube. My thing was it would be nice to have one app to manage for both. There are several ones that do, but they are not as "nice" as RoundCube.

I never meant to make it sound like this was a have to thing or bad for RC if it was never done. As a matter of fact I have looked at scripting this feature myself and releasing it as a third party add-on.