Author Topic: When number of IMAP folders reached 1530 Round Cube gets confused  (Read 4997 times)

Offline uncleyap

:(

I think the high number of IMAP folder will cause RoundCube to go nuts, that is the effect when you click into:

http://192.168.1.18/rcube/?_task=settings&_action=folders

nothing except a BLANK PAGE is shown.

It happens only to the user whose total number of IMAP folders including all the cur tmp new reached about 1530

It appeared to be the reason, because when adding any new folders at that stage the BLANK PAGE @ ?_task=settings&_action=folders symptom shows up, it became OK when the new folder gets deleted at IMAP folder side (by passing Round Cube).

I experimented that if I deleted away a set of existing folders then it will still allow me to add the same new folders that I had originally intended to add (but originally failed).

Therefore I began to suspect that the high number of total folders had met a limitation within RoundCube. I had initially thought that some folders' contents had been corrupted, but it is proven not the case, as I moved these folders into another users account, they appeared OK in Round Cube.

Could I please know what is the official MAX total number of IMAP folders Round Cube can take? Is there a way to increase it?

Or is it a memory allocation issue?

Some users are complaining about another problem that they can not attach more than 4 attachments in out-going mails, it hangs when trying to add the forth file. The sizes of files are about 1MB each.

Where can I tweak in the server to increase memory allocation to Round Cube? Is it a PHP server setting?

Thanks.

Offline bpat1434

• Administrator
When number of IMAP folders reached 1530 Round Cube gets confused
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 05:58:12 AM »
I'd be willing to bet it's a memory issue.

If you wanted to increase the memory limit, take a look in the .htaccess file at the root of roundcube (where index.php is).

On line 11 you should see this:
Code: [Select]
php_value       memory_limit            64M
You can change that number to 128M or any other sane number (like 256M or 512M).  If after you increase it, and you find your server starting to get a little wonky, bring it down a bit so that all your applications don't start to break because Roundcube is eating so much memory.

while you're in there, you could change "display_errors" from "off" to "on" and see what the exact error you're getting is.  Although this could show more information in other parts of the site that you don't want the public to see.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 06:00:31 AM by bpat1434 »

Offline uncleyap

Thanks memory issue indeed
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 03:38:30 AM »
I changed the value you highlighted to 512M. Then I changed php.ini in the allocation of memory by each script to similar value. The situation became OK. The sever has 1.5GB RAM.

Thanks

Quote from: bpat1434;23645
I'd be willing to bet it's a memory issue.

If you wanted to increase the memory limit, take a look in the .htaccess file at the root of roundcube (where index.php is).

On line 11 you should see this:
Code: [Select]
php_value       memory_limit            64M

You can change that number to 128M or any other sane number (like 256M or 512M).  If after you increase it, and you find your server starting to get a little wonky, bring it down a bit so that all your applications don't start to break because Roundcube is eating so much memory.

while you're in there, you could change "display_errors" from "off" to "on" and see what the exact error you're getting is.  Although this could show more information in other parts of the site that you don't want the public to see.

Offline bpat1434

• Administrator
When number of IMAP folders reached 1530 Round Cube gets confused
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 06:07:58 AM »
Be weary of that "okay" feeling.

I'm guessing your Apache is set to spawn probably anywhere from 100 - 250 child processes when it starts up.  So you can have anywhere from 100 - 250 connections at once.  If Roundcube is allowed to use 512 MB of ram, that's only 3 users before your systems resources could potentially be consumed.

I might be tempted to report this as a bug.  Personally it's a rather high-priority bug since it's a memory issue.