Author Topic: Filtering  (Read 13243 times)

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Filtering
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 11:49:18 AM »
Right witch is what the server would/should do as they come in. RoundCube is only active when some is using it so it couldn't be done using RoundCube. If you had control or access of the mail server it could be done.

Offline hipsterdoofus

Filtering
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 12:09:45 PM »
Quote from: skaero;24017
Right witch is what the server would/should do as they come in. RoundCube is only active when some is using it so it couldn't be done using RoundCube. If you had control or access of the mail server it could be done.

Unfortunately I have no control over it.  I do have a question though - you talk about a heavy load from doing this on the webmail client - why is this a problem?  What makes a heavy load on roundcube (which I have installed on a server) worse than a heavy load on the mail server?

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
Filtering
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 12:23:04 PM »
RoundCube only runs when a user is accessing it, a mail server is always running. When a email that would be filtered comes in to a mail server in automatically makes the file in the right directory. Where as if RoundCube did the filtering it would be checking and moving more then one email. The main problem is the quantity of email the RoundCube would be processing at once, you could wright a script that would check and sort email ever hour but it wouldn't be as seamless as having the mail server do it.

Offline hipsterdoofus

Filtering
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 12:30:48 PM »
Quote from: skaero;24020
RoundCube only runs when a user is accessing it, a mail server is always running. When a email that would be filtered comes in to a mail server in automatically makes the file in the right directory. Where as if RoundCube did the filtering it would be checking and moving more then one email. The main problem is the quantity of email the RoundCube would be processing at once, you could wright a script that would check and sort email ever hour but it wouldn't be as seamless as having the mail server do it.

Ok - so I don't know much about spam assassin, but here is a question for you (or someone who knows more) - would it be possible to run my own spam assassin server that runs against my provider's mail server?

Offline rosali

Filtering
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 08:09:06 AM »
No, it isn't. The process is:

- imap server receives mail
- imap server connects to spamd service (spamassassin)
- imap server delivers message to recipient
- client connects to imap server

You have to run your own mail server.
Regards,
Rosali

Offline hipsterdoofus

Filtering
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 09:51:43 AM »
Well thanks for the info - so essentially in order for this to work, RoundCube would have to run all the time (or have some script that runs) and does filtering occasionally.  Still wish it were possible, even if I had to run some timed script.  RoundCube is be best solution for our needs that I've run across besides this.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
Filtering
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 10:59:57 AM »
Well you could have a timed script do it, you would need to know the username and password for the user so you could connect to the mail server. You would then set the script to run every half hour or ever hour using a cron job. The script would login to the mail server and check for any new email that had come in after the last time it was checked, if it finds any it would check the spam level and if it was at a level that was considered to be spam it would move the email. You would also need a RoundCube plugin that would allow the user to turn it on and off and set the spam level as well as run the filter script.

This is amusing that email marked as spam would always go into on folder i.e. spam. It would also need to be setup for the number of users you have.

Offline jtrick

Filtering
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 01:38:36 AM »
To have a RoundCube interface allowing simple editing of filter rules used by the server seems like a pretty fundamental need.  Does anyone know of a plugin or project that is currently focusing on this?  I would be happy to help make this functionality available.  Thanks.

Offline rosali

Filtering
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 01:49:48 AM »
Well, the problem is, that the way of filtering varies from server to server. So I don't see a way for a general solution.

There is a managesieve plugin for Dovecot. And there will be a plugin for hMailserver soon which allows to filter by 'X-hMailServer-Reason-Score' header field.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 03:20:40 AM by rosali »
Regards,
Rosali

Offline jtrick

Filtering
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 02:01:12 AM »
Ok, I can see what you mean; thanks for the reply.  I found http://www.tehinterweb.co.uk/roundcube/ which has several plugins and was just about to go through some of the code to get a better sense of how they would fit together.  Is there a central resource for RoundCube plugins?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 02:02:21 AM by jtrick »

Offline jtrick

Filtering
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 02:26:14 AM »
Um, sorry to ask the question before checking with more depth...  I clicked your signature link and came across the following list of plugins: Plugin_Repository ? Roundcube Webmail.  I am new to RoundCube as of about an hour ago, so I hope you can forgive my ignorance here.  Familiarizing myself with everything as I go.