Author Topic: next message options  (Read 5525 times)

Offline listlizard

next message options
« on: February 18, 2009, 11:47:16 AM »
Hi,

I have a couple of minor feature requests that I think will help to improve ones "work flow" when reading email.

I like (and I suspect others do also) to always have the most recent messages showing in the message pane by default.  RC always initializes the message pane to the top of the message list.  So, if I sort by date in ascending order (my preference and, I think, RC's default), I always initially see the oldest messages and I have to manually scroll to the bottom of the list every time it re-displays.

Since that is annoying, I have opted to work around it by sorting in descending order (by date), so at least I always initially see the newest messages.

So, the first request is to add logic that automatically positions the message list to show the newest messages, regardless of the sort order (which, I suppose, should be an option setting).

The second request is related.  When I delete a message (when deleted messages are set to be hidden) I would like the next unread message to be selected.  This happens by default if the message list is sorted by date in ascending order.  If the sort order is reversed however, one has to manually select the next message on every deletion (which is slightly annoying).  (Again, I suppose this should be an option setting).

Thanks and thanks also for a great webmail client!

~ray

Offline dano

next message options
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 01:27:18 PM »
Hello Ray,

You can set the default sort order by editing main.inc.php.

Code: [Select]
// default sort col
$rcmail_config['message_sort_col'] = 'date';

// default sort order
$rcmail_config['message_sort_order'] = 'DESC';

Will set it to sort by date with the newest messages at the top.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Offline listlizard

next message options
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 10:45:24 PM »
Thanks for the tip dano but unfortunately it doesn't really help.  I'm already using the sort order as a partial work-around, as I mentioned, and RC remembers the setting between sessions just fine.  But this doesn't really address my requests anyway; what I really want is to keep it in ascending order and have it show the newest messages.  The solution is to change the message pane init code to scroll to the bottom of the list when it's in ascending order.

Thanks,

~ray