Author Topic: Signature Above Quoted Text in a Reply...  (Read 19466 times)

Offline smultronstallet

Signature Above Quoted Text in a Reply...
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 06:52:57 AM »
Quote from: Sam Treadway;14556
To have HTML signatures appear at the top of replies and forwards do the following:
Find the file named: "app.js"

search for the following line:
Code: [Select]
editor.getBody().appendChild(sigElem);

Comment the line out or replace with the following code:
editor.getBody().insertBefore(sigElem, editor.getBody().firstChild );

If anyone wants to take a stab at a patch with this as an option (tick box) please post it here, thanks! ;D

Thanks Sam & Sverre, works for me on SVN 2099.

A few things as a minor follow-up regarding HTML mode:

1) Does anyone know how to make it so when you tab into the main composition box, it places the cursor on the first/top line, rather than below the signature? (it only does this on a reply; when creating a new message, it tabs to the first/top line).

2) Is there a way to add an additional empty space to the first line HTML signature so that there is room to write w/o having to manually add another line. In plain-text I just added an extra '\n'... something similar for HTML?

Offline minusonebit

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 09:30:01 PM »
Quote from: zyzzyvas;3205
Top/bottom posting is partly an issue of taste, but mostly an issue of netiquette. And common sense.

because it breaks the flow of conversation.
The main reason you should NOT top post is...

But there are plenty of other good reasons [Why is Bottom-posting better than Top-posting]. Basically, remember that your email is written for someone ELSE to read, not you. Make it easy for the recipient to understand and reply to himself.

That also means not quoting the whoooole message in a reply. As a general rule, if the amount of quoted text in your email is more than your own text, you have probably quoted too much.

E-mail is not a conversation. This whole mindset of e-mail being a "conversation" is what led to the creation of g-mail, the world's worst e-mail service. heh, and if you notice, g-mail even puts the most recent message at the top of the thread - or it tries to, I should say. Usually it starts a new thread like an annoying board troll. E-mail is not a "conversation". Think of it like sending electronic postcards back and forth. You may save all your postcards, but do you read all the previous ones before the one that came in the mail today? Maybe if you have a few screws loose, but most people would read the most recent postcard, then refer to the older ones as, when and if needed.

Having to scroll through previous quoted messages (which can sometimes be pages and pages in length) to get the signature of a message is just goofy, but I realize some people just have to be different, so whatever, I find it very annoying. The idea that I should scroll past all that crap to find the message as well is just plain goofy. Unless that e-mail was from a boss or someone important (i.e. someone who has something I want - i.e. a paying customer), I'd likely delete it rather than read it. Time is too precious to waste it on people who waste it intentionally by being petty.

And the link you rely on for support of your position is written by someone who does not know the difference between Usenet and E-Mail. They are NOT the same thing. Usenet is a conversation, e-mail is not. Netequitte is fine and dandy. Some of it has a purpose and a place (like NOT TYPING IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS) but most of it is junk that people with way too much time on thier hands and who are way too willing to tell others what to do come up with.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 09:38:01 PM by minusonebit »

Offline Julius Caesar

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.de-keizer.net/
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 04:52:03 AM »
Replying to an email is very simple:

* Delete the unnecessary information.

* Add the answer under each the question asked.

* Add a signature at the bottom.

* Send the email.

This give a small and neat email which has been cleaned and can be read top-down without having to exercise your finger on the scroll wheel.

To extend in the comparison of sending postcards: Repeat the question on the card and add the answer under the question.
Julius Caesar

You can download the Groupvice4 theme here.
Sie können Groupvice4 hier he

Offline sunside

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 06:16:40 AM »

May I just ask a naive question - how do I make .js files from the .js.src files which I can edit? There seems to be some compression program being used since version 0.2

Thanks!

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 11:18:34 PM »
Quote from: sunside;16001
May I just ask a naive question - how do I make .js files from the .js.src files which I can edit? There seems to be some compression program being used since version 0.2

Thanks!
First backup the current compressed app.js file, rename it something like app.js-save. Then rename a copy of app.js.src to app.js. Make your changes to that new uncompressed copy. RC 0.2 stable works fine with an uncompressed app.js.
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline sunside

Compression
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 02:47:47 AM »
OK, that's exactly what I did. So I guess then I need to work with an uncompressed file after that.

Offline Napsty

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
To have HTML signatures appear at the top of replies and forwards do the following:
Find the file named: "app.js"

search for the following line:

If anyone wants to take a stab at a patch with this as an option (tick box) please post it here, thanks! ;D

Hello... seems to not work anymore in 0.2-stable. Can anyone confirm. Just tried to do exactly this without success :(

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 04:33:38 PM »
Quote from: Napsty;16158
Hello... seems to not work anymore in 0.2-stable. Can anyone confirm. Just tried to do exactly this without success :(
I've been looking at this as well on 0.2 stable. Here are my results with three different lines of code:

This is the default code. Sig is place below the reply. Works fine as long as bottom sig is OK.

editor.getBody().insertBefore(sigElem, editor.getBody().getElementsByTagName("p")[0]);
One option for sig above reply. I have not been able to get this one to work with 0.2 stable although it did with previous versions, sig still loads below the reply. Seems to work exactly the same as above.

This code works inconsistently. Sometimes the sig is above the reply, occasionally below, and sometimes the sig is missing completely. In addition, I have noticed that with this code in place, composed messages do not wrap, but each paragraph is a single line, causing both sender and receiver to scroll horizontally.

No answers from me, I don't know enough javascript to be able to debug it.
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline a_magoon

Solved it for 0.2 Stable!
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 10:45:42 PM »

llf1213

That is one cool projection clock!
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 10:59:03 PM »
This clock projects the time, date, or temp on the wall or ceiling Wholesale Clocks Shipped To You Direct From Chinese Wholesaler  some people call
it a ceiling clock but I call it a digital projection clock. I got the black one because at the time that was the only color
they had. But now they have them in black and also in white.