Author Topic: Mobile theme  (Read 19581 times)

Offline franciscochacon

Mobile theme
« on: April 02, 2013, 12:10:08 PM »
Hello everybody.

I am a web developer and am developing a  free an customizable mobile skin for Rouncube.

My question is, is there any free mobile skin already developed that can be used as base?. For now one option is to create the skin based on larry skin, but only the desktop version is open to modifications. 

I would like to know the opinions and advices  of the comunity about it.

Apreciate the answers.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Mobile theme
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:48:07 PM »
Not that I'm aware of.

Offline canobi

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 01:58:34 AM »
There are a few commercial mobile skins but no free skins, and none based on Larry. Since the whole RoundCube framework and API are finally stable and ready for 1.0 release (according to latest developer postings I could see), now is the perfect time to make a mobile version. Not sure what it would take to include the skin into official RoundCube release, but if you manage to come to an agreement with the devs about that, I know the community will be grateful and the skin heavily used.

Offline alec

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 04:03:41 AM »
Oh, it would be great to have a mobile skin in 1.0. Please, contact the devs using developer mailing list. I'm not sure if using larry is a good solution. Of course you can use templates and maybe some styling, but a good mobile skin should provide quite different logic, e.g. don't display folders list and messages list in the same time. Also there's a lot of mobile-device related issues in current skins that should be resolved (see bugtracker).

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 01:15:26 PM »
There was a time when my organization would have supported this heartily. But with the maturation of the email clients on current smartphones, along with better bandwidth availability over cellular networks, we now feel the need for a mobile skin has mostly passed. If one were available, great. But I don't think I could justify devoting many resources towards its development.
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline canobi

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 02:26:38 AM »
There was a time when my organization would have supported this heartily. But with the maturation of the email clients on current smartphones, along with better bandwidth availability over cellular networks, we now feel the need for a mobile skin has mostly passed. If one were available, great. But I don't think I could justify devoting many resources towards its development.

Well, for grannies and similar types of users, mobile web is still the most accessible and usable way to access emails. Sure smartphones come in handy, but the broadest user base is still with a web-based client, and for companies it's also pretty neat to be able to apply customizations, advertising and stuff like that, to a single interface implemented using a well known technology, rather than support multiple clients and technologies. So there's still room for that mobile access - not to mention that you're guaranteed you can access it from anywhere which is not the case with POP or IMAP based access.

Offline franciscochacon

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »
Thank to allfor the comments.

About the canobi's post, the development  of this skin is based on a need of a custom implemetntation for the University in wich i work, indeed .

Since there is no base free skin (larry or any other) i guess is necesary to start from scratch, , this take me to MXC question(I dont know if i should create a new topic....), Is there any way to adapt the template markup,  language? , this since most of the rouncube's objects are not the optimals for mobile development, for exmaple the object mailboxlist, wich is a table, but i would like messages do not display in a table...........

If somebody knows how this language works, or where could i investigate,  i appreciate to share it. 

Thanks.

Offline alec

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 02:02:50 AM »
http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Doc_Skins - this is not a complete documentation, but should help. Also, I propose to ask questions on developers mailing list. About mailboxlist - not possible and this is not a table but a list (<UL> element).

Offline franciscochacon

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 10:25:16 AM »
Thanks a lot for the advise, about the mailbox the mailboxlist you are rigth is a ul,  I made a mistake, the element I want to change is the table messagelist. Just one question, where can i get the developers mailing list address?

Offline alec

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 02:18:20 PM »

Offline franciscochacon

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 04:05:56 PM »
Thnaks, i will write them.

Offline skyman2610

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 10:23:46 AM »
thank you for your comments, this working so great!!!

Offline conan1409

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 02:44:32 AM »
Hello everybody.

I am a web developer and am developing a  free an customizable mobile skin for Rouncube.

My question is, is there any free mobile skin already developed that can be used as base?. For now one option is to create the skin based on larry skin, but only the desktop version is open to modifications. 

I would like to know the opinions and advices  of the comunity about it.

Apreciate the answers.
It will be great for a free skin of RoundCube in Mobile, but you have to resolve how can be simple to use.
I find some Skin RoundCube on http://roundcubeskins.net/, but it not free.
~Sean~