Author Topic: Plugin authors and translations  (Read 5301 times)

Offline corbosman

Plugin authors and translations
« on: February 10, 2010, 01:44:18 PM »
Hi all, one of the problems with plugins is how to maintain translations. If you're lucky one of the users of your plugin will email you a translation and you can add it to your plugin. To increase the exposure of plugin translations and make maintaining these translations a little easier, ive set up a system for plugin authors to help them manage this. For now im using this with my own plugins, but ive recently made some changes that will allow every plugin author to use it as well. If you're interested in helping me test this, and see if this is useful for others, drop me a note here or email roundcube at wa.ter.net

How does it work?
I will give you access to an SVN repository with a login/password. This will give you write access to maintain your plugin translations. All you need to do is check out the repository, add your own translations, and commit your changes. For now, it's based on the honor system and you will get access to all plugins

Once you have your existing translations entered in the SVN system, you can point users of your plugin to the following URL:

http://wa.ter.net/roundcube/translator/index.php?plugin=myplugin

Example: http://wa.ter.net/roundcube/translator/index.php?plugin=compose_addressbook

They will then see a page consisting of your current translation status, which languages need translation, and can create new translations for you. They can then email these translations to you, or post them in a thread on this forum.

What does it NOT do?
This system will not magically update your existing plugin package. You will still need to insert these new translations into your plugin and redistribute a new version with updated translations.

It will also not automatically update edited translations into the SVN repository. You as a plugin author are responsible for adding submitted translations to your plugin repository.

All im doing for now is help your plugin users to create translations for you. You could add the translator link to all your plugins, or even in the plugin api page on the wiki.

Once roundcube has a better plugin repository, this system can hopefully be retired.