Author Topic: Compose in New Window  (Read 11221 times)

Offline xrxca

Compose in New Window
« on: February 10, 2010, 09:54:13 PM »
I needed this for use with prism because it doesn't allow right or center click to open in a new tab or window.

compose_newwindow: Changes the behavior of the default compose / reply / forward buttons in the main mail list so that they open the new message in a separate window (or tab depending on your browser settings)

The compose window is also slightly modified (using a css file) to hide the main toolbar and move the rest of the items up accordingly.

When the new message is sent or canceled the new window will be closed unless the original window has been closed in which case the new window will go back to the mail list normally.

Tested in Firefox 2/3/4/5, Prism, Webrunner, Opera, IE7, Chrome and Safari.

Source Available at: Downloads for xrxca's cnw - GitHub

Aug 22, 2011: Updated attached file to Ver 3.00 - A number of updates, Fixes a number of bugs, adds support for 0.6-beta (addressbook changes and forward as attachment handling) incorporates changes made by Roland 'rosali' Liebl for myroundcube.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:55:31 PM by xrxca »

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
Compose in New Window
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 10:15:24 PM »
Very nice! Once you have figured out doing it by user preference (as mentioned in your README), I could see adding it to our production server.
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline xrxca

Compose in New Window
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 11:12:14 PM »
Quote from: ABerglund;25433
Very nice! Once you have figured out doing it by user preference (as mentioned in your README), I could see adding it to our production server.

Thanks, that addition probably won't happen till I get back from the olympics.

The version attached above does not open a new window if an email address is clicked in roundcube, the dev version at github does but causes the popup blockers in some browsers to prevent the opening.

Dumb Question: I have a version of Safari on my xp browser test machine, and is there really no way to allow Popups for a certain site without turning them on globally?

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
Compose in New Window
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 11:41:54 PM »
Quote from: xrxca;25435
Dumb Question: I have a version of Safari on my xp browser test machine, and is there really no way to allow Popups for a certain site without turning them on globally?
Not to my knowledge, no. Not even in the native Mac versions of Safari. That's one of Safari's biggest issues in my mind.
Arne Berglund
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline xrxca

Compose in New Window
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 04:19:12 AM »
I've updated the plugin (now version 2.01 as this was a total rethink on how it made the changes to the pages), it now has user options to enable/disable, and it shouldn't cause the problems I had with the earlier version with popup blockers.  (All the compose windows use the same method for opening which they didn't in the first version)

The attached file in the top post is the newset version.

(Had some time to kill and my netbook is with me, go canada go...)

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
Compose in New Window
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 09:07:15 PM »
Seems to work fine, in my limited testing so far. I don't think my userbase would understand the option to hide/unhide the toolbar, so I enabled it globally and then commented out the checkbox code so the users can't see it.

A very nice addition. Thanks for sharing!
Arne Berglund
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline xrxca

Compose in New Window
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 04:41:30 PM »
Version updated again (2.05) made changes so that it will work with the contextmenu plugin, and fixed a bug where on the addressbook page you could end up with multiple compose windows opening when you clicked on the Compose to button.

I also liked the idea of being able to disable individual user options easily (thanks for the idea Arne)
So this version has a setting in the config file for which settings the user can change.

Posted via Mobile Device

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
Compose in New Window
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 01:58:03 PM »
I upgraded from 2.01 to 2.05, but had to revert back to 2.01. With 2.05 installed, no items on the page were clickable. The Inbox screen would load and look normal, but that was as far as I could go. (Was using Safari 4 on a Mac. Did not test on any other browsers or platforms.) Reverting to 2.01 brought everything back to normal.
Arne Berglund
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline xrxca

Compose in New Window
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 05:28:45 PM »
Quote from: ABerglund;25661
I upgraded from 2.01 to 2.05, but had to revert back to 2.01. With 2.05 installed, no items on the page were clickable. The Inbox screen would load and look normal, but that was as far as I could go. (Was using Safari 4 on a Mac. Did not test on any other browsers or platforms.) Reverting to 2.01 brought everything back to normal.

I just got back from Van. and did some testing, it seems to work with every browser on my test system, I'm wondering if I've caused a conflict with a different plugin.

I'm using the following plugins:
keyboard_shortcuts
sieverules
gcal (experimental adds a page with an embedded google calendar)
copymessage
contextmenu
compose_newwindow
xrx (Customizations for my own local mail server)
prism (Popup Notifications and close on exit mods for Mozilla Prism)
compose_addressbook

and tested with calendar and webcalendar plugins.

Could I get a list of plugins your using?  (just the $rcmail_config['plugins'] entry from main.inc.php would be good.) so I can do some more extensive testing.

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
Compose in New Window
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 05:36:51 PM »
I tested by un-tarring a fresh copy, and had the same issue. Here are my active plugins:

$rcmail_config['plugins'] = array('compose_newwindow', 'help', 'new_user_identity', 'contextmenu', 'password', 'emoticons', 'sound_notifier','compose_addressbook','vacation','folderbuttons');
Arne Berglund
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline xrxca

Compose in New Window
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 09:24:26 PM »
OK, it's a Safari under OSX issue, I started up my old clunker of a mac (hasn't been up for months) and tried it and get exactly what you said, nothing is clickable.

I'll see what I can do about it, it's rather ironic that I only run into the problem if both contextmenu and compose_newwindow are enabled since the latest change was specifically to add contextmenu compatability. :confused:

Well... actually it seems with the version of Safari I have, the context menu by itself causes issues I think I know why, and was wondering if you could try the attached file if you get the chance.

(I can't really upgrade Safari on this Mac it's only here to run a single proprietary app that we know isn't compatible with newer versions of OSX, and I'd need to do an OS upgrade before I could upgrade Safari.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 10:41:11 AM by xrxca »

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
Compose in New Window
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 01:50:25 PM »
Can't test it. The attached tar.gz is damaged and can't be un-tarred.
Arne Berglund
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline mattfox27

Compose in New Window
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 11:09:46 PM »
when i enable this plugin it stops emails from showing in my inbox and kind of crashes RC...any advice?  Im using .4 with IIS6 win2k3 server.

Thanks

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
Compose in New Window
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 04:20:02 AM »
search the forum, this is a known bug in the compose_newwindow plugin, it has also been reported to the plugin author and a ticket with the solution can be found on the projects github page.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and moreā€¦

Offline mattfox27

Compose in New Window
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 04:44:06 PM »
The only issue in the github page was the closewindow.js issue is that whats causing it to crash?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 04:50:46 PM by mattfox27 »