Author Topic: performance  (Read 3203 times)

Offline cbrace

performance
« on: January 20, 2010, 04:13:34 PM »
Hi all,

I have installed roundcube on a small SoHo server so as to be able to access my mail remotely. The server is an old 1.6 Ghz Pentium IV with 512 MB running FreeBSD. My webserver is lighttpd and I have configured roundcube to use postgresql.  imap provided by dovecot.

It works -- but it is slow. Opening a message, text or HTML, takes between 9 and 12 seconds, as does returning to the message index (50 messages per screen). This is with a very light webserver load. 'Top' indicates php-cgi running at 10-20% CPU when roundcube is opening a message or the index window, leading me to believe CPU speed is not the bottleneck. If that is the case, where is the bottleneck? Although the system is designed for remote access, I am noting these times accessing it via a LAN. The ADSL connection is not the problem.

By comparison, I occasionally use the mailservers of Rollernet.us, for which they offer roundcube. Opening a mesasage on their system takes ca. 3 seconds.

I have Googled "roudcube optimisation" and found a few tips, like enabling webserver caching, which I did, and compressing the Javascript and converting the PNGs to JPGs, which I didn't do.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
performance
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:21:58 PM »

Offline cbrace

performance
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 04:17:31 PM »
Thanks for pointing out that page.

I reviewed the options, and set a few things, such as message index display to 25 and IMAP subscriptions on. I also configured imapproxy.

Alas, nothing I have done reduces the time opening messages, which is universally 9 to 10 seconds, regardless of whether images are loaded or not. That being said, it is slightly faster on my quad core desktop box, but that is in my home office, and I mostly use roundcube remotely on a netbook or Pentium 4 desktop.

I keep wondering if a faster server would make a difference, but I can't see how, since the load of my current server is very light, and as I mentioned above the php-cgi instances don't run at anywhere near 100% when roundcube is generating a page.

For the sake of comparison, I have roundcube configured to display 200 messages on my account at rollernet.us, and it is faster than displaying 25 on my own system.

I remain perplexed.