Author Topic: smtp;554 5.6.1 Body type not supported by Remote Host  (Read 16961 times)

Offline panitoni

smtp;554 5.6.1 Body type not supported by Remote Host
« on: February 12, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
Hi,

I'm having problems sending mails to my ISP using roundcube.  The error returned with the e-mail is as follows.

Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 5.6.1 Body type not supported by Remote Host

Looking around on google it seems to indicate that the MS Exchange SMTP servers  that my ISP uses to forward the mail are advertising they can accept 8bitmime, but in fact can't and are therefore rejecting e-mail with certain character code settings such as those sent by roundcube.  Using Thunderbird works without issue through the same servers.

Is there something in roundcube I can change or modify to assist in resolving this problem.

I am using the latest trunk from SVN.  The mail's are being sent without issue, they are just being returned 5 minutes later with the above error.

All suggestions/help welcomed.

Thanks.

Offline panitoni

[RESOLVED] smtp;554 5.6.1 Body type not supported by Remote Host
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 12:51:48 PM »
Just thought i'd post the resolution to this problem.  Not necessarily a roundcube issue, but as it only failed using roundcube as an e-mail client they seemed related.

The issue is down to the postfix server sending out 8bitmime character set e-mail which my ISP's microsoft servers didn't like.

The resolution as I discovered from the following link

554 5.6.1 Body Type Not Supported By Remote Host - ListMessenger Forum

Was to add the following line to my postfix main.cf file which I use to relay mail to my ISP's smtp servers.

smtp_never_send_ehlo=yes

Which forces postfix to send all e-mail in 7-bit format.  

Tony.