Author Topic: White Space - Message Reply  (Read 6282 times)

Offline AviatorTrevor

White Space - Message Reply
« on: May 17, 2010, 11:19:37 AM »
Hello all,

When using RoundCube, I hit 'reply' and there is no white space left at the top for the user to respond.  Also, the cursor isn't set to the beginning of the message.  Here is a screen shot of what I'm talking about, I put a red line on where I'm talking about:
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7316/roundcube.jpg

Most any other webmail leaves white space at the beginning so that the user can immediately begin typing a reply.

I do have some experience with PHP/Javascript, so if anyone could explain where the lines of code are for this and what to change, that would be appreciated!  Its a huge project, and I didn't know where to look, I was hoping someone else would know.

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 02:33:12 PM »
Hi, please search the forum to see if your question has been asnwered before posting, it will save you time and also save people repeating themselves. If you did then you should have found that the option you ask about (aka top posting) was included in 0.4b.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline AviatorTrevor

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 04:08:43 PM »
ok, can you please provide a link to the post you are referring to, because I searched "top posting" as well as "white space reply" and couldn't find anything related to what I'm talking about.  Also, since I don't manage the program or the servers, etc. (the company that manages our company's website handles all of that) I don't know what version they are running and I don't know if its possible to have them install a new version of the webmail without having any downtime or having to reconfigure 100 of our employee's email clients.  Is it possible to ask where the line of code would be located?  I'm not an expert programmer, but I would envision that there is just a "\n" character missing or something simple.  For example, when the user clicks the reply button, the program should just set a variable $reply = $messagetext, and all I should have to do is change it to: $reply = "\n" . $messagetext

Does that make sense?  Maybe I'm over simplifying it, but... if you can either provide me a link to another post or tell me where in the PHP or Javascript those lines of code are, maybe I could tweak with it on my own and figure it out.

Thanks

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 03:28:38 AM »
here are a few of the posts i was talking about:
http://www.roundcubeforum.net/5-release-support/14-release-discussion/5106-reply-places-cursor-bottom-email.html
http://www.roundcubeforum.net/3-news-announcements/12-general-discussion/6462-replying-above-message.html
http://www.roundcubeforum.net/5-release-support/17-pending-issues/6508-reply-text-cursor-defaults-bottom.html

they all suggest upgrading because it is not quite as simple as just adding a new line or two. as well as that the position of any signature has to change, and the signature seperator, also the default posotion of the cursor has to change.

if at all possible i would recomend that you update rather than trying to hack this in. this search should show you the 5 change sets to the code specifically for top posting Search Results ? Roundcube Webmail

to find out what version you currently have you can look in index.php or in program/include/iniset (there is a RCMAIL_VERSION constant near the top)
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline AviatorTrevor

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 11:27:58 AM »
Does the newest version of RoundCube also have "white space" at the beginning of the message when the user is replying?

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 12:06:33 PM »
Quote from: AviatorTrevor;27491
Does the newest version of RoundCube also have "white space" at the beginning of the message when the user is replying?
The newest (0.4-beta) includes this as a user preference. See attached.
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA