Author Topic: Change Subject on Incoming Message  (Read 6940 times)

Offline xrxca

Change Subject on Incoming Message
« on: May 19, 2010, 02:02:22 PM »
I'd like to be able to edit the subject line in an incoming message to a subject that has more meaning to me, for instance right now I've got three different messages from the same company all with the subject "Upgrade", one has to do with a server upgrade at one of their sites one is regarding a user security change and the the third is about going to the new version of our software. (And that doesn't even begin to touch the people who send me messages with no subject or a subject of "re:")

When I get one of those I'd like to be able to change the subject to read for instance "Upgrade (Server)" so if I need to find the message later it would be easier.

Has anyone seen this ability?, I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement in roundcube, it would probably be a bit more server dependent than most functions...

Offline ausworkshop

Re: Change Subject on Incoming Message
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 03:01:06 AM »
I'm just wondering if you ever found an answer to this? I have a similar problem.  It's a shame because if I can't even figure out how to edit a subject then I think I'll have to switch to another mail program.  Judging by the age of this thread and the fact that no body replied to you doesn't give me much faith in Roundcube.

I thought it was great at first but now it's really starting to annoy me, there are too many little things I can't find answers for.  I might have to go back to Outlook, was hoping to find a good online alternative. :-[

Offline alec

Re: Change Subject on Incoming Message
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 03:52:18 AM »
That's a very Outlook-specific feature. I don't know a mail client that has it. Doing subject change in IMAP is quite expensive because it requires to copy the message and delete the original one, plus some listing updates, etc. So, there's no such feature in Roundcube. You could do this using "Edit as new" feature then save to original message folder, finally delete the original mail, but that's really not a solution, right?

There are (or might be) some plugins that add support for message annotations or tags. I think this would solve the problem as well. Of course, one could write a plugin that does subject change too.