Author Topic: Installation Issue when Copying Configurations  (Read 3015 times)

Offline beldenge

Installation Issue when Copying Configurations
« on: May 21, 2010, 01:38:50 PM »
I have what I hope is a very modest request, which would have saved myself countless hours of trouble-shooting.

I'm fairly new to Linux, but I tried to install roundcube to CentOS 5.5 64-bit and had a ton of trouble on Step 3 of the installation process due to a simple error that could have been avoided with clearer instructions.

My problem:
After copying my config data into main.inc.php and db.inc.php and hit 'Continue' to go to step 3, all I would see is a blank page.  No error messages and nothing in the logs whatsoever.  I couldn't even find anything in the forums or on google to assist.

The culprit:
I was attempting to copy the config data and paste it into nano through a putty session.  Unfortunately, it turns out that nano likes to word-wrap things.  Many of the single-line comments in the config files ended up wrapping around and causing apache to choke.

My solution:
I was able to instead paste into vi, which did not wrap the comments.  Installation was successful.

My request:
On the installation how-to, can you please make a note so users know that simply copying and pasting into a shell terminal (specifically when using nano) may NOT work?

Thank you for the great product!  If this didn't seem like such a great piece of software, I wouldn't have taken the vast amount of time troubleshooting my noob-error.