Author Topic: new plugin: message highlighting  (Read 72915 times)

Offline corbosman

new plugin: message highlighting
« on: June 22, 2010, 10:18:24 AM »
Ive created a new plugin named Message Highlight. It allows you to match a string on from/subject/to/cc and change the background color of the message index for that match. For example all emails from the roundcube dev list get a yellow background in the message index row.

This is a first beta release, feedback and comments are welcome.

Important: this only works with 0.4-STABLE (not beta)

You can get it here:  Downloads - roundcube-plugins - Project Hosting on Google Code

Screenshot:

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 05:01:35 AM by corbosman »

Offline dziobak

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 10:25:15 AM »
I'll try it!

Offline dziobak

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 10:53:52 AM »
1. The highlight doesn't work on FF 3.6.3
2. The highlighting looks terrible for me. When using dark colors I can't see letters... Maybe you can change it from highlight to text color and disable from choosing bright colors.
3. Change the choosing color popup to this like in Rosali's calendar. It fits more to RC
4. Attached polish translation
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 10:59:19 AM by dziobak »

Offline corbosman

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 02:24:13 PM »
The highlighting works fine on FF 3.6.3. Ive been doing all development on FF 3.6.3. Just tried it on windows as well, no problem. Also works in Safari, Chrome and IE. At least for me it does. As long as you have current SVN (as in, today's SVN would be fine).

What about just using light colors instead of dark colors :)  If you pick only light colors, does that make you happier? I may be able to limit the colors to light colors.  I dont think it's a good idea to use the font color instead of the row color. You can not see different shades of a color well in font colors.  I think it looks fine with light colors.

Im not quite sure what makes a specific color picker 'fit rc more'. I hadnt seen the one in the calendar plugin, but im more than happy to give that one a go, especially because it looks like that one is easier to limit to light colors. But it kind of annoys me to use a color picker that just fills in a form with hex codes. I think it's designwise nicer to not show the end user the sadness of HTML hex color numbers.  Does your mother understand hex color codes?

Also, I really dont like how you have to click twice in that color picker. You have to click to lock in a color, and then click again outside the color picker to close the picker. It's not very intuitive.

What is 'more rc' about it? Or what dont you like about this one?

Offline corbosman

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 03:56:39 PM »
If you'd like to try, check out this css file, some changes that may help:

http://wa.ter.net/download/message_highlight.css

Just replace the original css file and shift-reload.

Offline dziobak

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 12:47:42 AM »
1. You are right with FF. I had to have something wrong with cache... it works
2. Yes I set the lithe colors and it looks better. it should be limited to light colors.
3. There should be used color pickup box the same in all plugins. This looks bad when one plugin use different box then the other... Maybe put it to core?
4. The new css looks better

Offline dziobak

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 01:04:56 AM »
What do you thing about setting highlight from addressbook too? Setting a color to specific contact

Offline corbosman

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 01:09:51 AM »
1. Ok, cool, phew :) I had a similar issue in Chrome that was fixed when I reloaded
2. With the new css it's limited to light colors. The only darkish color is in the blues, but even those seem light enough.

3. I agree it would be nice to have consistent UI elements. As a matter of fact, I just posted a feature request on the RC tracker a few days ago to have RC support Jquery-UI. (#1486809 (jquery UI support) ? Roundcube Webmail) from the core, so plugins dont all load their own versions of jquery-ui and possibly even wrongly interact with eachother. (what happens if 5 plugins load different versions of jquery-ui?). The calendar color picker isn't jquery based. That doesnt have to be bad, but i would personally prefer a community supported jquery color picker. (mine doesnt seem to be actively developed either, and the only reason I used it is cause I thought it looked the least invasive of all the jquery color pickers I could find). Im perfectly happy using a different color picker if RC would suggest using a specific one.

4. I released a 0.11 version with the new css.

Offline corbosman

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 01:20:00 AM »
Where in the addressbook? In the 'Edit Contact' frame? I suppose it's possible to hook in there using render_page. But what would you match on? Display Name? First/Last? Email?

Offline dziobak

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 01:50:43 AM »
Yes, in the 'Edit Contact' frame.
I would match email. The plugin works correctly when using names ("Test user" ) and email address ("Test user" ). It could check both ;-)

Offline corbosman

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 01:59:46 AM »
Oh, it also works in FF 3.6.4 :)

Offline corbosman

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 07:00:13 AM »
I released a new version 1.0 of the Message Highlight plugin. This version should be compatible with the upcoming roundcube 0.4-stable.

This plugin is not supported in any versions older than 0.4-stable as it depends on features only available in 0.4.

Find it here:  Roundcube Plugins | Underwater World

Offline bagu

• Bagu.biz
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 07:01:32 PM »
Hi,

I have the latest trunk of roundcube and both latest jqueriui and message_highlight plugin, and the colorpicker is blank even the cursor show a color in the box in corner bottom left.

I use firefox 3.6.8 but the problem is the same in ie 8.

Is there something i do wrong ?

EDIT : here is the french traduction
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 07:06:52 PM by bagu »

Offline corbosman

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 07:14:57 PM »
What OS?  1.0 works ok for me in 3.6.8 on mac, safari on mac, and chrome.

It doesnt need jqueryui.

Offline bagu

• Bagu.biz
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 08:25:40 PM »
I'm on windows 7 pro 64bits.
But the problem is the same on windows xp pro 32bits.