Author Topic: working on an interface help plugin, feedback needed  (Read 6187 times)

Offline corbosman

working on an interface help plugin, feedback needed
« on: July 06, 2010, 09:53:24 AM »
Hi all, one of the main problems we have with our userbase of over 50.000 regular visitors is that people just dont understand everything RC can do. If you tell them they can drag columns to affect the column order they're bewildered.  Or they just dont even see a tiny icon thats hidden someplace but has an important function, like the threads icon.

Im working on a plugin to help with that. It's meant for our own userbase, but I have made it so it's generic. I'll almost certainly release it when it's done. It supports localization and im planning to add a hook so plugin authors can add their own UI elements with text strings. Have a look at a  movie ive made that shows what it can do. Dont look at colors, dont look at details, or missing localized strings, or the silly question mark button. Just look at the functionality and how it can help people understand the RC interface.

http://wa.ter.net/download/help-ui.mov

Do you think this would be a useful plugin for the community?

One of the main issues I have right now is, where do I put the link to activate the overlay :)  Any suggestions?

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 01:07:48 PM »
I really like it, no offense to anyone reading this but there are a ton of computer/internet/email illiterate people out there who just don't know how to use RoundCube. I think it would be a great addition to the community! Good work! O0

Offline corbosman

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 02:28:24 PM »
What we see with our users is that they dont get what javascript and css can do. They dont even grasp that you could drag emails from your message index to a folder. If you tell them, they still dont believe you. This is actually by far our most asked question :)

And thats the early adaptors :) When we make RC our primary webmail we're going to get 300.000+ users, so i dread to think what they'll make of it.

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 05:56:11 PM »
I'd install that with English/Spanish localization in a flash. We were thinking about building a static FAQ page and linking it to the Help plugin, but this would be so much better.
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline corbosman

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 06:03:18 PM »
Oh, hehe. I just realized I had made that movie on one of my large screens and it doesnt fit on my laptop screen..oops. Guess you have to download it and watch it like that.

Laurence

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 05:39:55 AM »
Hi Dude

The plug-in you have developed would be a useful resource for all the community members.:)

email templates