Author Topic: Simple 3-column layout  (Read 10711 times)

Offline pfarmer

Simple 3-column layout
« on: November 29, 2008, 01:15:28 PM »
With a wide-screen display, I prefer a 3-column layout (with the preview pane to the right, rather than underneath, the mailbox contents listing).  However, I experienced some 'funkiness' with the default_3-column skin posted by johnwoo -- sometimes I couldn't get the vertical splitter between the mailbox list and the preview screen to hold still!

So -- I developed a skin (attached) called simple_3-column.  For this screen I tried to make as few changes to the default skin as possible while creating a right-side preview pane that would fill up the width between the mailbox contents listing and the right edge of the 'mailright' container.

The three files that are changed, relative to the default skin, are:
  • mail.css
  • splitter.js
  • templates/mail.html

Changes made to these files are documented with comments within the files.  Additionally, the ZIP file with the skin includes UNIX 'diff' files that highlights the changes that have been made.

The files that had been included in the original default skin are included as mail.css.dist, splitter.js.dist, and templates/mail.html.dist.

I think it wouldn't be terribly difficult to modify RoundCube to allow the user to select between a vertical or horizontal preview pane, as youds has shown.  Maybe I'll take this on next.

Note that I am not calling this an "Outlook skin."  The 3-column view is not unique to the abominable Outlook -- it's long been available in Thunderbird (the email client I prefer).

I've tested this skin (empirically) with Firefox, IE 7, and Safari.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 04:47:45 PM by pfarmer »

Offline pfarmer

Simple 3-column layout
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 02:34:32 PM »
** Please hold before releasing this post -- thought I had it, buit there are still a couple of problems to resolve **

Offline thenasko

Simple 3-column layout
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 03:42:08 PM »
I just tested this skin on a recent version of roundcube (0.5.x), and it seems to be broken. More specifically, the list pane does not function correctly and there is no preview. Does anyone have an updated version, or, alternatively, something else with a 3 column view?