Author Topic: External Hosting Solution / Functionality Issues  (Read 4562 times)

Offline randystone

External Hosting Solution / Functionality Issues
« on: August 12, 2010, 02:59:39 PM »
Hello, I am in charge of setting up a new website that offers a web mail client for registered site users.

We are currently seeking a definite hosting solution to setup, and run Roundcube as the client of choice.

However, we have a Network Solutions hosting package which will not fully support Roundcube and it's included features. We are trying to avoid a dedicated server if at all possible until we hire a server admin/programmers which will be around the 1st of next year while the site has to be launched in sept/oct so I am wondering if there is a way to easily do this w/o the dedicated server?

Basically, i am wondering if it is possible to set up roundcube on an external host w/ full IMAP support, and link to the webmail client from our network solutions account. I think finding the host would be easy, but also wondering about the functionality issues. I'm a designer that has always used provided webmail clients.

Any help would be appreciated, or even direction to a specific forum/tutorial, or anything that covers such an issue. I am honestly afraid that we may have wasted out money w/ the network solutions account, but their sales people assured us that they could fully accommodate our web/email requirements before signing up so here we are.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 03:33:47 PM »
It depends on what you need, if you just want want to install RoundCube basically any host will work. Do you have an external imap server? How many users do you have? How many emails are sent out hourly?

Offline randystone

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 04:17:08 PM »
This is a new site, but will be heavily marketed with high numbers expected based on market research. However, low to start of course.

I have already set up Roundcube on our Network Solutions server, but their IMAP server does not support any features included in Rouncube like Address Book or any plugins if there were any calendar plugins and such. Only message sending and receiving.

The thing is we have the unlimited hosting package w/ unlimited addresses and would have to upgrade the mail package. So if extra cost is required, how can we do it while being able to use any added features. Also, functionality, security, and such of using an external host is a concern of mine simply due to not knowing much about this sort of thing.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 04:31:04 PM »
I am not sure what you mean by their IMAP server not supporting Rouncube address book or plugins. RoundCube's doesn't use the imap server for the address book (imap is only for emails) the address book is stored in the database.

Offline randystone

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 06:28:25 PM »
I spoke w/ their tech department finally, and they said their IMAP servers would not support that feature in any application outside of Outlook 2007. Like I said, I don't know much about this so I am seeking help here so I can get this set up and running properly.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 06:37:38 PM »
Ok I still not sure what your asking about, can you add address to the address book? What isn't working?

Offline randystone

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 07:10:57 PM »
Wow.... I think I figured it out after reading that the address book is stored in a db...

I'm guessing won't support THEIR address book feature.

Offline randystone

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 07:12:26 PM »
I don't even know what to say... lol

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 07:13:53 PM »
Ok I think I understand what your saying now, but what are you asking? Everything in RoundCube is working correctly right?

Offline randystone

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 07:25:14 PM »
Oh yeah, so far. The installation was fine.
At the login screen, or in the config file where you can enter an IMAP sever is where we are. We have to upgrade to access IMAP so when i called to ask if we can do that and use roundcube instead of their webmail client, they said we could not use the address book feature. My boss initially set up the account, so I had no idea they had their own address book which is more than likely what they are talking about. :)

Sorry, you can remove this thread even. Like I said, I am primarily a designer, and was asked to set this up. it was fine until that phone call. So what I was initially asking was for direction on a work around. Sorry for the confusion.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 07:31:58 PM »
Ok I think I understand it now. If you want to save some money on your hosting I recommend checking out HostGator.

nithra

managed network services
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 02:09:49 AM »
Hi

To lay GWT necessarily need a hosting with support for Tomcat and other complex servers? And you can do without such complications?

managed network services