Author Topic: How does one sync RoundCube with the iPhone 4?  (Read 67999 times)

Offline sternedwards

How does one sync RoundCube with the iPhone 4?
« on: August 29, 2010, 10:55:01 AM »
Hi,

I would like to know how to set up RoundCube to sync with my iPhone 4.  I am not that computer saavy, to I am just looking for the basics.  How can I read my RoundCube e-mails on my iPhone 4?  From what I understand, RoundCube is a web based e-mail site and not a mail server.  Does this mean I cannot use it with my iPhone 4?  

Thanks,
Charles

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 12:04:07 PM »
Your right RoundCube is just a webmail client, the key there is "client" RoundCube is a client of the mail server. An iPhone is also a client witch can connect to the mail server to read/send mail just like RoundCube. To use the iPhone's mail client set it up the the same IMAP information you used to setup RoundCube.

Offline sternedwards

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 07:08:37 AM »
Any help?  :confused:

Offline sternedwards

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 07:11:21 AM »
Thanks Skaero,

Someone else actually set up my RoundCube for me and I cannot get in touch with them at this time.  I am not sure what the info is to set up this account on my iPhone.  Would you happen to know where I can locate this info?

Thanks,
Charles

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 07:38:41 AM »
In the /config/main.inc.php the imap server is $rcmail_config['default_host'] and the smtp server is $rcmail_config['smtp_server'] Those are the basic setting, if that doesn't work you may need to look at the ports and authentication to find the settings.

Offline sternedwards

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 08:01:27 AM »
I came across the following at 000webhost.com, where I signed up for Round Cube....

To configure email client such as Outlook Express you need these details:

* Type of incoming mail server: POP3 or IMAP
    * Incoming mail (POP3 / IMAP) server: mx.000webhost.com
    * Outgoing (SMTP) server: you need to use your ISP (Internet Service Provider) SMTP server. Call your ISP to know your SMTP (mail sending) server. In case you are unable to get SMTP server, you can use WebMail for email sending.
    * Username / Email: charles@charlesphotography.net
    * Password: ..........

If you are unable to configure your email client, you can always use our WebMail system.

Either I am not understanding this correctly, or it is wrong.  after placing mx.webhost.com into the HOST NAME slot, and the password, I get a message stating that it is wrong.  Doesn't the HOST NAME usually look something like "mail._____.com" ?

For the smtp I am using "smtp.att.com"  I don't know if this will work or not as I have not gotten that far into the sign up process.  If not, hopefully AT&T will help me with that info.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 08:16:06 AM »
The mail server url can be anything its not limited to mail..com Try contacting you host and asking them for the information.

Offline sternedwards

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 03:32:31 PM »
Hey skaero,

Thanks for your posts.  
My host is 000webhost.com and as a free subscriber I only can use their forums to get help.  The only thing I could find was the clip I posted earlier in italics taken from their site.
I'm thinking the e-mail account through them is hopeless as I cannot find out the proper info. to sync it with my iphone.  

Thanks for your suggestions though.

Offline sternedwards

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 04:30:22 PM »
Skaero,

I got it all figured out and my 000webhost e-mail account is syncing perfectly with my iPhone.  Apparently I was doing everything right - except the WiFi needed to be turned off while setting up a new e-mail account.  
Whod-a-thunk-it?!
It took a call to Apple's Tech Support but I finally got it working.
Thanks so much for your input.  You were the only one who bothered to reply.:)

Later,
Charles

Offline doodledog

iPhone help needed
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 07:19:25 PM »
sternedwards,

I am trying to help my fiancee set up Roundcube on his iPhone as well...so far without much luck.  I have tried the setting you showed in this thread.

Could you be more specific and let me know exactly where and what you put in your iPhone to make Roundcube work?

Thanks

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 07:59:43 PM »
RoundCube isn't a mail server it has nothing to do the the iPhones mail client. You need to put in your imap server information, its the same information you used to setup RoundCube.

Offline doodledog

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 08:13:38 PM »
Yes, I keep seeing that in the forums, but I did not set up my roundcube mail.  My web designer did it.  I am in the process of trying to get hold of her but thought I would try here, too.  I see several others looking for this information as well.  Can you not just post it to the forum for us?

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 08:18:28 PM »
Its depends on how the server is setup so I can't post the information with knowing your server configuration. You could try using mail.yourdomain.com its a common host name.

Offline doodledog

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 08:42:44 PM »
Oh I see.  Thank you.  I guess I'm just not technologically savvy enough to do this.

Offline isttoptan

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
thank you, nice sharing..