Author Topic: Install wizard "server not found"  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Gazelle

Install wizard "server not found"
« on: September 19, 2010, 10:06:26 AM »
As someone who just learned about how great Roundcube is, I successfully downloaded the files on my computer. However I was extremely disappointed when I attempted to start the install wizard of Roundcube by going to
the url http://url-to-roundcube/installer/ Unfortunately I got a white screen with the message "server not found". I tried several times with the same result. I reside in Thailand but have good (but not super fast) web service. Also surprising is that I attempted to send an email to users@lists.roundcube.net but this email bounced back saying it couldn't be delivered. I would be very grateful if someone has a suggestion on how I could link to the install wizard? Thank you.

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:42:43 AM »
you changed the "url-to-roundcube" bit to the correct url to access the roundcube folder on your server right? you didnt just put "url-to-roundcube". for the mailing list, what did the bounce actually say? iirc you have be subscriber to the mailinglist before you can post to it.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and moreā€¦

Offline Gazelle

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »
Sorry I am not certain what you mean by changed the "url-to-roundcube" bit to the correct url.  The exact url I cite in my question is precisely the same as the link at the roundcube website, as well as a few other websites that instruct how to install after the files are downloaded.  Is there another url I should use to install? Thanks for your help.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 12:27:49 PM »
"url-to-roundcube" is just a place holder, for example if your website is example.com and your installing RoundCube in the mail directory the url would be http://example.com/mail/installer/

Offline Gazelle

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 12:50:26 PM »
Thank you for this clarification.  I apologize for my naivete but I had thought I could use roundcube by going to a roundcube website.  Apparently this is incorrect and I would need to install this on a website....and I don't actually have a website.  Up to now I have used general webmail like yahoo or gmx.  Is there another way I could use Roundcube without having a website, and if so what would be the url to install the files?  I'm most grateful for your assistance.  (and I need to go to sleep since it's so late here, but I'll be hapy to read any reply in my morning)  Thanks again.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 01:07:32 PM »
RoundCube isn't a service its a application witch you can install on web servers. Would you mind saying what you where try to do with RoundCube, are you looking for a new email address or are you just looking for a email client and if so for what service.

Offline Gazelle

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 11:44:19 PM »
Thank you for your reply.  I actually am looking for an email host whose data center is located in a country that has very stong privacy laws.  According to my recent research Privacy International has compiled a detailed assessment and ranking of countries on several factors related to privacy, and it appears that Iceland and Germany may have some of the strongest protection.  Also I discovered that Iceland is a prime area for huge new data centers because of both the cold weather and abundance of natural energy.  (see Verne Global, and their customers include IBM)  When I did some research on hosts based in Iceland, I learned that the company 1984.is has the largest market share, and their email system provides two options, Roundcube & SquirrelMail.  I gather RoundCube is far more sophisticated.  (however apparently I made the wrong assumption and thought Roundcube was developed in Iceland)  It appears to me that it may be best to subscribe to an email host in Iceland, like 1984.is.  Although it may seem to be a silly question, I have sent an email to them asking them to confirm that all the email that passes through them is archived in data centers in Iceland.  They sent an auto response that my question is in line to be responded to so I await their reply.  You may have additional knowledge on this subject of the countries with the best privacy protection.  Unfortunately the U.S. as sophisticated and high tech as it is, has very minimal levels of protection, and thus I would prefer the emails to be archived in a country with stronger protections.  Sorry this is a long explanation but again I certainly appreciate your response.  Thanks for your efforts.

rikonsmith

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 12:22:38 AM »
Hey,
Ya I have to already wizard problem, your article is very good but this article not cleared my problem please can you explained for wizard.

online dating

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 11:55:19 AM »
You are looking for a email provider RoundCube is only a email client that can be used to connect to a email provider. I can't offer any suggestions on witch provider would meet your needs because I don't know that much about international privacy laws.