Author Topic: skin licence vs own logos  (Read 2796 times)

Offline michalp

skin licence vs own logos
« on: October 21, 2010, 09:57:15 AM »
Hi,

I wish to change default roundcube skin to display my company logo and favicon instead of default ones. I would edit some files to change link from roundcube_logo.png to company_logo.png.

Now most stupid question on that forum:) What should I do with CC licence? Should I public the work with my logos;)? Or maybe should I add everywhere info that it's basing on Roundcube? How about my company logos (png files)? Would it be CC-SA since changing?

I don't know what to do, but I want be fair with RC creators:)

Any ideas?

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 11:18:02 AM »
afaik changing the logos isnt a problem you dont have to share them or anything like that. you might find it simpler if you keep the roundcube_logo.png file name though then all you have to do is dump it in the dir and not change any files.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline michalp

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 12:43:24 PM »
Thank your for your reply.

Anyway I want have my own file names like company.png not roundcube_logo.png. Since it's CC-SA it causes the licence problems. With GPLv2 I could modify anything without doing anything as long as I use it for mine own usage (without distribution). All I need is simply replace roundcube_logo.png to company.png in few html skin files.

Also I don't want to share mine company logos with anyone, it's trademark.

If someone know what should I do then please inform me, I really want be fair with RC guys:)

I hate this cc licence because it doesn't allow me to do simple changes without sharing it with everyone.

Thanks in advance

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 05:20:59 AM »
the CC-SA license says you are free to make any changes you want and you may distribute it under the same license not that you have to distribute it. Creative Commons — Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline michalp

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 12:38:10 PM »
Hi,

Thank you very much for help:) That solves my problem with logos:)
Again THANKS!:)