Author Topic: Shading on images  (Read 3198 times)

Offline tofinoguy

Shading on images
« on: October 28, 2006, 04:48:16 AM »
I installed roundcube on a local Apache server to test it out and have since moved it over to mediatemple to resolve some performance issues. Everything seems to work fine on the mediatemple instance, however when the page is viewed, there is a strange blue shading over many of the icons that was not present in the local install. This occurs with either the default theme or BlueTabby. It also only occurs in IE, not in Firefox. What could be causing this, or how can I prevent it?

Offline Solei

Re: Shading on images
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 02:40:34 AM »
The "shading" you're seeing is actually a problem with Internet Explorer not drawing PNG files with transperancies correctly.

Firefox (and most other browsers) will draw them correctly, but Internet Explorer will always look incorrect.

The only solution to this problem is to change the .png files in the skin to something IE understands (GIF or JPG). ...or to simply not use Internet Explorer? ;)

Offline tofinoguy

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 02:47:11 AM »
It's curious that this transparency issue occurred only when the script was set up on a remote server (Mediatemple) and not when it was hosted on a local webserver on our network. For the record, this server is Win XP running Apache.

I did locate some javascript to attempt to resolve the issue however it only helps on the initial load of each page - when any given page is refreshed (ie selecting a different folder), the new images are not parsed by the javascript. Unfortunately we are running this in a corporate environment and are stuck with IE6.

Offline Solei

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 03:20:12 AM »
Quote from: tofinoguy
Unfortunately we are running this in a corporate environment and are stuck with IE6.

If I were in your predicament, I would convert the PNG files to JPG files, and recode the skin accordingly- or just use the default, as that seems to look roughly the same in both IE and FireFox.

I feel your pain here- it's frustrating that IE won't adhere to many of the set standards- though because of this, they've been able to code some rather intriquite web applications (Outlook Web access, and the Windows/Microsoft update engine to name a few).

Either way you slice it, getting IE to look exactly as it should with this particular skin will be a migrane among headaches- should you choose to try it, I wish you luck.