Author Topic: What is the maximum size of a mailbox?  (Read 10078 times)

Offline calande

What is the maximum size of a mailbox?
« on: November 02, 2006, 02:23:34 PM »
I have an e-mail account that I have never purged. It currently uses 9GB+ of disk space (out of 70GB) with music and videos, PowerPoint presentations, zipped software, etc...

Will RoundCube handle it? Is there a limit? (I'm on a high-end server).
Thanks,

Offline daashag

Re: What is the maximum size of a mailbox?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 02:44:49 PM »
I am using roundcube with a mail account that is 4 gig and about 1500 messages in the inbox. It's faster than squirrel mail logging in and browsing messages. The only negative is that roundcube won't send an attachment over 1 meg, at least with my current setup.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 04:33:12 AM »
I have run it on a 50mb sever just fine, I mean you have about 60GB of room for it, Thats about 2/5 time as mush as Gmail.

Offline gforce

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 10:36:14 AM »
Quote from: calande
I have an e-mail account that I have never purged. It currently uses 9GB+ of disk space (out of 70GB) with music and videos, PowerPoint presentations, zipped software, etc...

Will RoundCube handle it? Is there a limit? (I'm on a high-end server).
Thanks,

The way I understand it, the maximum size will be the size of your partition. So you really are unlimited in size as far as the software goes. You will probably want to keep your inbox and sent boxes small though for usability. Just make other folders to empty them into and you should be able to fill your hard drive. I actually have my e-mail server a seperate server from where my RoundCube is installed. RoundCube itself doesn't really use much disk space. It's just the e-mail server that holds the actual messages. So in theory you could also load balance.

Come to think of it, I wonder if there is a way for RoundCube to POP the messages instead of just viewing them through IMAP. I don't even think it can be setup that way. If you could than, RoundCube would pull down the message from the e-mail server and store it in it's own database. Of course, databases do often have size limits by default. There not quite as easy to grow to fill the hard drive as the IMAP method.

Hmmm, now that I'm thinking about that, (sorry to keep rambling) technically your ability to fill the drive depends on how your e-mail is stored. Some storage methods keep your entire folder in one file. Than you would have file size limitations which with any current journalled file system you also wouldn't have to worry about. Other storage methods have one message per file. In the case of having all your e-mail in one file, you definitely get performance hits as the folder gets very big and you definitely want to try to break them down into seperate folders.

Well that's my $0.02 worth.

Offline wektis

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 05:44:53 AM »
Hmm...ok

So from the point of view of someone that is offering free email accounts to users, and out of necessity needs to restrict mail box size...is there a way to do this?

Offline Speedy Gonzales

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 05:29:53 AM »
In roundcube??? If so where???

Offline grandad

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 06:08:35 AM »
Quote from: daashag;3543
The only negative is that roundcube won't send an attachment over 1 meg,

Is that correct or is it 'admin' defineable?

Offline Barbouille

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 08:24:03 PM »
Quote from: grandad;11732
Is that correct or is it 'admin' defineable?

It is not in roundcube but on your own server. As stated before, you have to setup a mailbox quota on your server, upon creation of the mailbox.

This has nothing to do with Roundcube. That quota will apply no matter the email software you're using. It is admin defineable but in this case, YOU ARE ADMIN. THIS IS YOUR SERVER.