Author Topic: Old roundcube - New server - Multiple domains  (Read 9500 times)

Offline EinfachClicken

• http://www.steinfein.org
Old roundcube - New server - Multiple domains
« on: January 18, 2011, 02:55:21 PM »
Hi. I'm hoping that someone can help me out with this ...

I have a root server on which roundcube is installed. Our server admin adjusted the settings so roundcube would work server wide, across all of our domains (just six of them). The server used VHCS as an admin/user CP. However, now we're getting ready to switch servers (economically more feasable) to one that uses CentOS with cpanel. This time around we'll have a reseller account without access to the root of the server. cpanel also has roundcube available by default, for any added user/domain. So here's the question ....

... We already know that multiple instances of roundcube can be installed on a server, but I need to know answers to the following:

1. Is it possible to install roundcube on the CentOS/cpanel server without interfering with the existing roundcube configuration that's already there?

2. Is it possible to have our own installation of roundcube transferred over to our new reseller account without ever having to get into the root of the server?

3. If the answers to one and two are yes, can you please explain more closely the proper steps that we'd need to take in order to get this done? We don't want to start with a brand new installation of roundcube since we're using customized templates that we'd like to keep as is. I don't know which version of roundcube we have but it was installed about 15 to 18 months ago. Thank you.

Ever try Ubuntu? It\'s incredible!
After 18 years with Windows, I finally made the switch for free at www.ubuntu.com
Stable, Safe & Reliable - Hundreds of Free Apps - Hundreds of Games[

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 04:27:58 PM »
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. If you just want the same copy of RoundCube copy the files and the database  and then update the database link the /config/db.inc.php file.

Offline EinfachClicken

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 11:03:31 AM »
Thank you very much. I do have one more question though and hope that you might be able to provide an answer for me? I'm assuming that in order to avoid conflicts between automatically set up roundcube web mail for each created cpanel account and the single roundcube that we'd like to use for all of our domains, that there'd have to be a way to disable the default roundcube creation within cpanel first?

Or can we simply ignore the cpanel installed version of roundcube by making appropriate domain adjustments in our own custom version of roundcube? Thank you once again.
After 18 years with Windows, I finally made the switch for free at www.ubuntu.com

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:01:58 PM »
Nope your version wont conflict with the cPanel version, you don't have to do anything to the cPanel version. One thing to note on cPanel server is that webmail.domain.tdl forwards to the cPanel mail login, the best way to avoid this problem is to have RoundCube on a different sub domain like mail.domain.tdl.

Offline EinfachClicken

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 01:35:40 PM »
Thanks again, that's actually exactly what we'll be doing ... setting up our roundcube to function from within the root of a subdomain. I've never used cpanel before though, so I do have one more question. Thanks for all of your patience with me.

Anyway, each domain within cpanel has it's own roundcube configuration and it's obvious that you'd normally use the "create email" function to create user emails. In the past I always used a VHCS control panel which was linked to our roundcube installation in a way so every created email was accessible with roundcube regardless which domain the email was created for. But with cpanel and no more root server access that wouldn't work anymore, right (since we're bypassing the cpanel roundcube altogether)?

So if we have roundcube working in it's own subdomain, where or how do I go about creating new email users? Is there a specific web/admin configuration panel just for that?

Or better yet ... would it be possible to tie several domains together in the roundcube configuration file, causing all email accounts within those particular domains to work strictly within the constraints of that one single roundcube installation? I'm just trying to figure out how email accounts would be added without potentially causing conflicts in the existing cpanel setup? Without a bonafide admin panel this is somewhat over my head. I'm not opposed to paying (within reason) for such an installation within my reseller account, or for detailed directions written in plain english. I'm the administrator of those domains and I need to be able to add email accounts to work across the board of apx. 8 different domains by adding/deleting accounts as needed.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:31:56 PM by EinfachClicken »

Offline EinfachClicken

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 05:50:22 PM »
Quote from: skaero;32651
Nope your version wont conflict with the cPanel version, you don't have to do anything to the cPanel version.

Since roundcube does not have it's own admin panel, are you saying that I could just go ahead and add emails via my regular cpanel settings as long as our own version of roundcube is installed in it's own subdomain? Don't we at least have to edit a configuration file somewhere?

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 01:48:46 AM »
The mail system on a standard server has two parts,
1. The mail server - This is where the mail account lives and all of the actual emails are delivered to and are stored.
2. The client - A mail client (in this case RoundCube) which connects to the mail server to read/write/manage emails.

When you create an email account in cPanel or VHCS you are creating the account on the mail server, then you can connect to the account using a client. The emails are stored on the mail server so you can connect to that account from either copy of RoundCube without any problems. Let me know if you have any more questions about the setup, we could talk on the phone or over Skype.

Offline EinfachClicken

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 12:30:41 PM »
Thanks a bunch, skaero.

Our server admin got it working just fine within its own subdomain. I create the email accounts as I normally would in cpanel, regardless which domain I use, and all of them work just fine from the web login page. Your help was greatly appreciated. Thanks again, you rock !!! O0

Offline EinfachClicken

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 11:54:43 AM »
Well, we still seem to have a problem getting things to wok correctly.
Yesterday we switched the roundcube from the old server over to the roundcube in the new server. Both roundcube installations were located in their own subdomain but the roundcube on the new server has a different name than the previous subdomain roundcube on the old server.

If I check my email with my desktop application (Thunderbird) all accounts are checked, there are no errors anywhere, but no mail is being received either.

If I check for mail with our *OLD* web panel login, same thing happens there. The roundcube on the old server receives no mail whatsoever, no spam or anything else.

If I check for mail via the default cpanel roundcube installation (which should actually be by-passed completely) I can see new emails, including spam, etc.

What's really weird on top of that is that I can "appear to send" email from any of those, but I can't be certain if anything that I send is actually getting anywhere since there are no error messages at any point during the send process either. This may be turning into a nightmare ... help ...

Our server admin speaks german so if you prefer to respond in german, that's fine too. Thanks again.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 01:35:12 PM »
It sounds like it could be a dns problem, you did update the RC config to connect to the new imap server right? You may want to try putting the server ip address instead of the domain for the imap server, that would bypass any dns problems.

Offline EinfachClicken

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 04:20:11 PM »
Quote from: skaero;32778
It sounds like it could be a dns problem, you did update the RC config to connect to the new imap server right? You may want to try putting the server ip address instead of the domain for the imap server, that would bypass any dns problems.

Thanks, we got it sorted out. Now it's still not working in Thunderbird but that's because like you said, the DNS hasn't been switched over on both ends yet. By the way, I was never able to use imap with Thunderbird. Every time that I try to set up a new account the settings appear automaticlly but the account ultimately doesn't work even though the mail server is fully imap compliant. If I try to change the mail account settings in Thunderbird manually, it still won't work.

Oddly enough, anytime that I try to set up an account in Thunderbird with POP3 and smtp settings, it works right away without a problem. I'm using Linux though, so perhaps that has something to do with it since Thunderbird for windows and Thunderbird for Linux are not identical. Not even the version numbers are the same ...

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 05:52:30 AM »
IMAP is a standard so it doesn't vary between operating systems, I've never had any problems when I use Thunderbird on linux so I'd guess it was just a configuration problem. When the DNS changes you should try setting up the account in Thunderbird again and see if the problem continues.

Offline EinfachClicken

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
Geeee whiz, this is beginning to drive me out of my mind .... :D

Here's what we have going on now. I have one cpanel reseller account for all of my domains. One of these domains, due to its complexity as a site, runs in a package all by itself. That domain was assigned to that package. There are apx. half a dozen other domains for which I had to create a separate package. Then I had to assign those domains to that package. The very first domain which was assigned to this package was einfachclicken. However, the actual owner of both packages and all of the domains is the same.

Now then, our roundcube webmail is working just fine all across the board. However, when we try to use our email accounts via Thunderbird, only the emails for the first domain package are working ... as well as all of the emails of the very first domain in the second package. None of the remaining emails of the domains in that second package are working ... via Thunderbird.

Craziest of all, if I do a mailcheck within thunderbird it appears as though all accounts are properly being checked and there are no errors at all. If I write an email via thunderbird from an account that belongs to that second package of domains, the mail is sent off successfully ... but nobody receives them. This is just nuts as nuts can be. I even cleared my thunderbird cache to see if that would improve things, which it didn't.

Is it possible that I have to assign each domain in cpanel to its very own package? I can do that, it just don't seem to me as though that would be necessary.

UPDATE:  We got everything fixed. Not sure what the exact problem was, but as of this morning everything is working 100% fine! Thanks again for all of your help.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 08:09:26 AM by EinfachClicken »

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 11:34:53 PM »
Glad to hear you got it working, sounds like it was DNS related. Let me know if you have any other problems.