Author Topic: shift+arrow keys selects a message but dont show it  (Read 7167 times)

Offline jazzl0ver

shift+arrow keys selects a message but dont show it
« on: March 24, 2011, 06:30:43 AM »
Hi,

Currently, shift+up/down arrow key combination selects a prev/next message only, without showing its content in the preview pane. It would be great if it showed the content.

Thanks!

Offline dshepherd

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 07:07:56 AM »
Holding shift whilst pressing up/down arrow selects multiple messages, this action is commonplace amongst software applications.

If you want to scroll through messages to display them in the preview pane, press the up/down arrow without holding shift.

Offline jazzl0ver

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 03:31:24 PM »
Suggested behavior is common for at least TheBAT. Moreover, my suggestion does not break current things, it just adds some more usability, since at this time preview pane is empty (in other words, not used) while selecting messages.

Offline dshepherd

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 06:46:15 PM »
I have to say that I don't agree and think that the current functionality is correct.

The preview pane displays the currently selected message and would not make sense to display one message when multiple messages are selected.

All personal preference of course!

You could change this functionality if you like on your local version or by creating a plugin.

Offline alec

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 04:07:32 AM »
This could be extended to display shortenings of all selected messages, like in Thunderbird.

Offline jazzl0ver

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 05:01:19 AM »
Quote from: dshepherd;33891
I have to say that I don't agree and think that the current functionality is correct.

The preview pane displays the currently selected message and would not make sense to display one message when multiple messages are selected.

All personal preference of course!

You could change this functionality if you like on your local version or by creating a plugin.

I understand your point.

Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer and don't have needed skills to figure out what has to be changed to get the functionality I want. If you (or somebody else) could help and point me to the right place in the code and tell what to change, I'd appreciate that.

obama549

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 07:17:09 AM »
Quote from: jazzl0ver;33889
Suggested behavior is common for at least TheBAT. Moreover, my suggestion does not break current things, it just adds some more usability, since at this time preview pane is empty (in other words, not used) while selecting messages.

If you want to scroll through messages to display them in the preview pane, press the up/down arrow without holding shift.

obama549

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 07:17:59 AM »
Quote from: alec;33893
This could be extended to display shortenings of all selected messages, like in Thunderbird.

Offline jazzl0ver

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
Quote from: obama549;33897

I want to read messages and select them at the same time. Then I press Del key and delete all of them in a bunch (useful when you have a lot of letters from robots, etc).

Offline isttoptan

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 01:23:47 PM »
thank you, nice sharing..

Offline isttoptan

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 07:24:04 PM »
thank you, nice sharing..