Author Topic: Extra space seen in messages received by Outlook  (Read 8175 times)

Offline steveg_nh

Extra space seen in messages received by Outlook
« on: April 05, 2011, 10:38:28 PM »
Hi, I've noticed this issue since 0.4.2 and hoped it was resolved in 0.5.1, but it doesn't seem to be.

Anyway, when I send a message to someone, who reads it in Microsoft Outlook, each new paragraph has an extra space inserted at the beginning of it. It only seems to be in Outlook, but since so many use Outlook, it looks like you made an indent when typing your message.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like in Outlook. That space was not put there by me. (Of course I just typed junk to get it to wrap to see what happened). When you look at the email message itself in a text editor, you see the extra space too.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 03:37:54 AM »
Hi. I have tried with Roundcube SVN and Outlook 2010 and it works fine for me, no indenting. But I noticed from your screenshot that the wrapping is gone. There is a message on the window saying extra line breaks were removed. If you restore them (click on the extra line breaks button) does everything line up right then?
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline steveg_nh

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 07:51:27 AM »
Quote from: JohnDoh;34123
Hi. I have tried with Roundcube SVN and Outlook 2010 and it works fine for me, no indenting. But I noticed from your screenshot that the wrapping is gone. There is a message on the window saying extra line breaks were removed. If you restore them (click on the extra line breaks button) does everything line up right then?

I gave it a shot, on an email that didn't wrap, and I get the same thing...I'll send myself something to work, where I have Outlook 2010 too, and see what happens. I'm still using 2003 at home. Here's a screenshot with no line breaks.

Also too, it's not just my PC, I've seen it on emails replied to by others. I'm just assuming they are using Outlook as well.

Offline alec

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:26:02 AM »
This is most likely some problem with format=flowed handling in Outlook.

Offline steveg_nh

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 09:25:51 AM »
Not so sure about that actually.

I just tested some more, and Outlook 2007 does it as well, but so does my Blackberry. Seems that the email is definitely sent with the space. I'm going to check the raw email in the sent folder within Roundcube on the server to see what's in it.

Something's not right here. :)

Offline steveg_nh

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 10:10:41 AM »
I pulled the raw email from the cur folder on my server. The space is in there. Here's the email with some info removed to protect the innocent. See the space?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:13:12 AM by steveg_nh »

Offline Julius Caesar

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.de-keizer.net/
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 10:13:09 AM »
Please try to add the [code] and [/code] tags around the message
Julius Caesar

You can download the Groupvice4 theme here.
Sie können Groupvice4 hier he

Offline steveg_nh

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »
Quote from: Julius Caesar;34134
Please try to add the [code] and [/code] tags around the message

Hmm..Not sure how/where to do that. I'm composing in plain text, not HTML. If I just do it right in the message, it will just leave that as text won't it?

Offline Mich312

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 02:11:32 PM »
Hi!

First of all, I don't understand anything about coding or the inner workings of Roundcube. I'm a noob.

Anyway, my colleagues and I use Roundcube (webmail) for about 2 years at work. I'm not sure about the terminology, but we received the emailadresses from a different company (pcextreme), with the possibility to log in and use Roundcube as some sort of front. It's also possible to use two other sites, but they are not nearly as user-friendly as Roundcube. I send and receive about 50 mails per day. Since the update a few weeks back, all of us have experienced different kinds of problems. Others reported folders missing, emails which are sent but are received half an hour later, or complained about the long loading periods.

This weekend, I also noticed that there are spaces inserted at the beginning of sentences, but also randomly within sentences. This also happens when I copy a text from Word into Roundcube. When I use one of the other webmailsites or Outlook to mail from my work address, this doesn't happen. In other words: there must be a problem in Roundcube.

Is there anything I can do (also about the slowness etc)? It's very unprofessional to send emails with randomly inserted spaces....

Thanks a lot!

p.s. I haven't noticed these problems in earlier versions, unlike steveg_nh. I use both Roundcube and Outlook daily so I would expect to have seen it before had that been the case.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:13:13 PM by Mich312 »

Offline alec

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 02:27:24 PM »
Quote from: steveg_nh;34133
I pulled the raw email from the cur folder on my server. The space is in there. Here's the email with some info removed to protect the innocent. See the space?

This space is correct in format=flowed message. RFC2646:

Space-stuffing adds a single space to the start of any line which
needs protection when the message is generated.  On reception, if the
first character of a line is a space, it is logically deleted.  This
occurs after the test for a quoted line, and before the test for a
flowed line.

On generation, any unquoted lines which start with ">", and any lines
which start with a space or "From " SHOULD be space-stuffed.  Other
lines MAY be space-stuffed as desired.

Offline steveg_nh

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 03:49:24 PM »
Interesting. Wonder why I just started noticing the issue recently...Don't think it was there before...

Offline steveg_nh

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 03:49:58 PM »
Quote from: Mich312;34137
Hi!

First of all, I don't understand anything about coding or the inner workings of Roundcube. I'm a noob.

Anyway, my colleagues and I use Roundcube (webmail) for about 2 years at work. I'm not sure about the terminology, but we received the emailadresses from a different company (pcextreme), with the possibility to log in and use Roundcube as some sort of front. It's also possible to use two other sites, but they are not nearly as user-friendly as Roundcube. I send and receive about 50 mails per day. Since the update a few weeks back, all of us have experienced different kinds of problems. Others reported folders missing, emails which are sent but are received half an hour later, or complained about the long loading periods.

This weekend, I also noticed that there are spaces inserted at the beginning of sentences, but also randomly within sentences. This also happens when I copy a text from Word into Roundcube. When I use one of the other webmailsites or Outlook to mail from my work address, this doesn't happen. In other words: there must be a problem in Roundcube.

Is there anything I can do (also about the slowness etc)? It's very unprofessional to send emails with randomly inserted spaces....

Thanks a lot!

p.s. I haven't noticed these problems in earlier versions, unlike steveg_nh. I use both Roundcube and Outlook daily so I would expect to have seen it before had that been the case.

You might get a better response if you start your own issue thread, vs piggybacking on this one.

Offline alec

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 03:18:44 AM »

Offline steveg_nh

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 08:18:32 AM »
Quote from: alec;34150
This should fix the issue: #1487861 (Format=flowed improvement) ? Roundcube Webmail

I would say so! Thanks for posting that. I tried to find something before I posted this, but likely wasn't using the right search terms.

Thanks again!

cleobeefai

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 05:41:52 AM »
Thanks much for this thread, my puzzled mind is now okay!=) thanks guys
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cleo of HTC Inspires Accessories and HTC ThunderBolt Accessories