Author Topic: wiki page for plugin ap changes impacting plugins  (Read 5402 times)

Offline corbosman

wiki page for plugin ap changes impacting plugins
« on: April 28, 2011, 10:48:34 AM »
Hey plugin authors, would it be an idea to keep a wiki page so we can document api changes that impact our plugins? I dont know about you, but I run into issues sometimes, and it takes me hours to figure out some RC core change has made my plugin unpredictable. Recently this was the case with buttons in the compose template suddenly requiring registration in some array. Another one that probably impacted most of us a while back was the sudden change in the display_message call, requiring the lock argument.

I can understand that RC isn't a stable platform yet for plugins, especially since we basically use core functions instead of a real API, but it would help if we dont all have to re-invent the wheel every time something changes.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 02:20:26 PM »
I like the idea although I could see it being hard to maintain.

Offline corbosman

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 06:12:22 PM »
Hard to maintain in what way? We'd only have to add things, never remove.  Every time you have to fix a plugin after a RC update, make a note there. We can have sections for each RC version, and if something changed that requires plugin changes, you add a comment in the appropriate section.

Another example, the addressbook changes in current SVN required me to change my compose_addressbook plugin because contacts can have multiple email addresses now. Im sure other addressbook plugins will run into that one.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 08:55:53 AM »
I think some changes would apply to multiple problems and it wouldn't be obvious that a change that was listed applied to the problem, still I think it would be a good reference to start checking for problems.