Author Topic: composing html messages,altering tinyMCE's behavior  (Read 3330 times)

Offline ddswr

composing html messages,altering tinyMCE's behavior
« on: June 30, 2011, 03:29:16 PM »
when composing in html, hitting enter creates a new paragraph, effectively "double spacing" the text.

modifying editor.js as discussed here TinyMCE - force_br_newlines fixes the issue, but only for new html messages.

When replying to html messages tinymce reverts to its old behavior, using paragraphs rather than BR.  Does anyone know a way around this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 12:09:18 PM »
I've dabbled with this more than once over the years I've been using Roundcube, but always end up reverting to the default config. TinyMCE's support for this "feature" is rudimentary at best - they don't recommend or support it, and the implementation is spotty. I've always experienced odd composing bugs whenever I tried this, so I gave up. Turns out that my users have learned to accept it now, and I no longer get complaints about it.
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline bpat1434

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 09:58:29 AM »
To be honest, the functionality that TinyMCE has is more in line with how written communications go.  When you hit "enter" it shouldn't go to a new line as hitting the "enter" button signifiies that you are done with you one thought and are (a) ready to move on to a new topic or (b) the separation between the previous thought and the next thought should have a hard break, meaning it makes sense for a reader to pause there.

If you require a single new-line character instead of the paragraph, hold shift and hit enter.  That key combination will not enter a paragraph but instead will enter a "
" element.

Hope that helps.

Offline rosali

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 02:45:45 PM »
Yes, that's just the same behavior as in desktop apps like in $MS Word.

@ bpat: Check your signature ... Your links to banners are still dead ;-) [http://userbars.bpatterson.net/roundcubeuser.gif]
Regards,
Rosali

Offline ddswr

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 09:55:06 AM »
Thanks for the replies all.

Has anyone tried changing the css as they suggest, adding p {margin: 0; padding: 0;} ?  

Seems like that would be the way to go... only I have no idea where to make that change.