Author Topic: user registration  (Read 3536 times)

Offline trenttdogg

user registration
« on: August 24, 2011, 10:40:54 PM »
This is probably a dumb question, but is RoundCube capable of being a stand alone email server?
What I mean is: I want to offer personal email to my members with them having their own email account (example: joedoe@xyzmail.com) but I want them to be able to sign up/register on their own without an admin having to manually create the email account. Similar to how you sign up a gmail or yahoo account. Can RoundCube be used for this type of project?

Thanks,

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
user registration
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 10:44:48 PM »
Roundcube is a webmail client, not an email server. It requires an email server to send and receive from. It does not have any ability to create new email accounts on the email server itself.
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline trenttdogg

user registration
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 10:53:10 PM »
Thanks, Arne,
I'm pretty new to this so I appreciate all the help. I use Hostgator and it would be used on their server(s). They told me that I would have to manually create any email accounts, or write a custom script to achieve what I am trying to do. They also said I may need to get a "license" from C-Panel in order to run the script. Any ideas?

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
user registration
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 11:50:38 PM »
Sorry, you're out of my depth. I have no experience with third-party hosting, or with C-Panel. I can envision what a plugin for RC would have to do on webmail account creation, but a plugin alone would not be enough. It would need to package the user info and hand it off to something that can interact with C-Panel. Sounds complex to me, and fraught with potential bugs and security issues.
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline trenttdogg

user registration
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 12:19:25 AM »
Yeah, perhaps I was bit too ambitious with this idea. Thanks for your input:)

Offline antonyf

user registration
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 04:24:08 PM »
here we go.. a fix for your clients to register email accounts in CPANEL..
this can easilly be implimented in to Roundcube-- if it hasnt already.. but works ok as a standalone .. use it manipulate it as you wish

http://www.roundcubeforum.net/7-third-party-contributions/46-api-based-plugins/8866-self-registration-script-cpanel-needs-little-tweak-but-its-easy-impliment.html