What so you think?

ike it :D
18 (81.8%)
on\'t like it :(
1 (4.5%)
hink you can do better? 8)
3 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Sexy, Sleak and FREE Theme  (Read 39450 times)

Offline the Whiteside of life

Sexy, Sleak and FREE Theme
« on: September 12, 2011, 04:23:23 PM »
I downloaded and installed RoundCube this morning, I liked it but the design was a little lacking. My host offers a great looking interface for their webmail but I cannot use this with the domain name I want as this is not setup with a server, I use another domain name with this, they alsop do not have an option to send from another address liks GMail so that was out the option. I have been using GMail but it is very annoying to use.

Therefore I have created my own theme based on my hosts theme and built upon the default theme so all functionality is copied across.
At the moment not all pages are styled and default to the default style, such as the settings (but seriously the only reason you go here is tp change theme, who cares what it looks like for now).

Here is a shot for you all, I am giving this out for FREE, any contribution is welcome, I do NOT want money, I want people to work with me on improving the theme. Any ideas, thoughts or sketches are appreciated. Please explain why you want what it is you want and it may be incorporated.

Click to see bigger, it does look better than the thumb shows, I promise :D
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1744[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1745[/ATTACH]

If anyone is interested in this please comment below.

Best Wishes, the Whiteside of life.

Offline GreenLED

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 08:55:17 PM »
Please PM me about this theme.

Offline Volnhar

• http://www.andrew.stoker.name/wp
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 02:41:39 AM »
Hi, pretty interested in this theme, nice simple and clean.

You can pm me your details etc.

Thanks.

Offline Silencer

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 10:02:22 AM »
Welcome to the Forum! Great to see some progress on theme development. Did you contact your host already, if you can use their design? If not, please do so or otherwise we might run into copyright trouble down the road.
Anyway, great work that needs some finishing touches:
- search box is still round (doesn't fit)
- the top items "mail", "address book" etc. seem to be a little out of place / style
Please tell us if you need some testers. Thanx!

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 11:15:07 AM »
Where can this "free" theme be downloaded from?
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 11:24:05 AM »
Hi all thanks for replying.

@ABerglund  atm its on my computer as it is no where near complete.

@Silencer No I havn't I will do that soon, I doubt I will get a good reply. I see the problem you see but not too concerned about them as they can be done in half an hour.

@Volnhar I tried to PM GreenLED earlier today and got an error so I don't think the PM is working for me atm.

I have only done the page I posted, the compose page menu text wont appear (i can't find where this comes from). All I have done is changed the CSS and a little html on the default. I will package it up later today and upload it somewhere for you all. Like I said last time, I am new here and know nothing about RoundCube, I am just handy with CSS. If my host deny the use of their design then I will have to modify it, this is not a big problem.

Best wishes, the Whiteside of life.

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 11:49:19 AM »
Hi all again,

It appears to be copyrighted, my host buys it of these guys. Atmail - Email Server, Webmail Client, Mail server Appliance - Linux and PHP
I will look into changing the design and style a little so that it does not violate copy right laws.

I have contacted them now but it is highly unlikely as this is their main theme and they sell it.

If anyone has any tips on changing/altering th design to avoid copyright issues please post below.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:13:53 PM by the Whiteside of life »

Offline Silencer

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 01:31:01 PM »
The design from atmail seems to be heavily "influenced" by apple apps/iOS - maybe they even licensed it.
If you don't copy it 100% & sell it there should be no issues.

Advised not to continue
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 02:35:50 PM »
I contacted atmail and they say that they do not condone the use of their design/style.

If people are willing to recreate parts such as the top bar background then I can use their image instead and will be happy to upload the package then. Credit will be given where appropriate and included inside the readme.txt file etc. I will not place any names etc on the interface, not even my own.

Personally I still use the images shown but this is on a local server for my own use, I'm not willing to upload it because I really cannot be bothered with any issues further down the line.

Best Wishes Me.

Offline Silencer

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 09:29:53 AM »
The main question here is what is protected by copyright on their design, so I just compared the 2 designs again:
- you cannot user their icons (for a public release) => there are many free icon packs available online (need to check their license though)
- in general your roundcube skin resembles the basic roundcube layout and looks therefore different
- the button layout and color scheme atmail uses are widespread over the internet and are not copyright protected

I cannot assist with programming, but with testing. Thanx for your work!

If you wanna try it.
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 03:26:54 PM »
@Silencer, ok, if I get sued I'm blaming you. oj.
I have changed the icons to the default theme icon, they are re-ordered in the sprite to fit better, I hope he doesn't mind.

I've uploaded this to multiupload.com, this will copy it to rapidshare, megaupload etc so you can choose your favorite.
Be aware this theme is not complete, this is "as is" and may not work for you at all.

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Offline mr.jaguar

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 10:04:08 PM »
I've installed this, it looks good, but I can't click on any of the folders.  I'm using .6 stable.  can anyone help?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:17:12 PM by mr.jaguar »

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 06:52:26 AM »
I have stopped work on this for a few reasons. Mainly because of other commitments.

Hopefully someone else will continue, I know I didn’t do much but it was a start.

Those with problems you should look into the code yourself it is quite simple. I mainly only edited CSS which is a skill used everywhere on the internet.

Offline zurih

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 11:38:11 AM »
Nice theme!!

Offline gischi

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 01:54:04 PM »
Great looking. would like to test the theme.

thx for your support