Author Topic: 0.6 Skin: "3 Columns Quick & Dirty"  (Read 8540 times)

Offline SphericalHexahedron

0.6 Skin: "3 Columns Quick & Dirty"
« on: September 30, 2011, 05:19:21 PM »
Hello everyone!

I recently rediscovered RoundCube when I was looking into an alternative to the tedious task of setting up Outlook on a Terminalserver for users that log onto the TS with non-personalized ("group") accounts. One deal-breaker in my implementing RoundCube on a wider scale was the inability to have the preview pane on the right hand side of the application in the default install. So I took to the task of modifying the standard skin to behave a little more Outlook-3-pane-view-ish.

Here's the gist:

This might devour your children! It comes with absolutely no warranty whatsoever and I am not responsible for any damage that may arise from your using this skin. I did this the quick & dirty way, stopping when it did just about enough of what I wanted it to do. It's not tested particularly well (only tried it in IE7, FF 3.5 and Chrome 12) and I knowingly accepted the kinks and quirks that it suffers from (see below). However it's main functionality - namely displaying the preview pane to the right of the inbox works quite all right I believe - especially once you're happy with the spacing.

Known issues:

In IE (7, mind you) when you resize the folder list on the very left, the middle container doesn't scale correctly and starts shoving the preview pane off the screen.
   Workaround: Deselect "Show preview pane" and then re-select it again to redraw everything properly (refreshing the page also works, of course).

When rescaling the preview pane it might get "stuck". I'm not a Javascript wizard by any means, but I'm assuming there would be an obvious solution for that.
   Workaround: You'll get a feeling for it. Kinda hard to describe. I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious. Maybe I'll tend to it sometime later. Too tired for right now.

When the inbox has been squished too much you might not be able to properly use the bottom toolbar anymore
   Workaround: Don't make the preview pane too big?

When switching to the address book (and possibly other pages with a second vertical divider) and then switching back to the inbox the preview pane is no longer shown and has to be re-enabled by clicking the "show preview pane" option on the bottom.

There probably are some more issues I didn't run into just yet. If you can live with them for now: Have at it. Enjoy. You are more than welcome to improve on my "solution" (I don't feel entirely comfortable calling it that by any means) any time! I myself might keep working out the kinks if this proof of concept convinces my employers to give RoundCube a shot in our business.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 03:43:47 AM by SphericalHexahedron »

Offline Poe

0.6 Skin: "3 Columns Quick & Dirty"
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 10:45:11 AM »
works also unter 0.7.1,

thank you!

Offline mercury_19811

Re: 0.6 Skin: "3 Columns Quick & Dirty"
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 03:42:43 PM »
Where can I find it?

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
Re: 0.6 Skin: "3 Columns Quick & Dirty"
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 02:26:54 AM »
there is an experimental plugin that does the same job available here, please try that http://www.tehinterweb.co.uk/roundcube/plugins/exp/threecol.zip
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and moreā€¦