Author Topic: Gmail-style threading  (Read 4697 times)

Offline AdrianMay

Gmail-style threading
« on: November 08, 2011, 08:57:35 AM »
Hi folks,

I just installed your awesome system on my mail server so I could check and send emails from either my phone or my PC, and see all my sent and received mail either way. I think webmail is the only solution for that. I found roundcube after bouncing off the installation of horde, so you can imagine how I appreciated your installation.

Threading was my short-listing criterion for both products, but coming from gmail, I'm noticing one huge difference:

a single gmail thread includes both sent and received emails, just like news
     roundcube threads the inbox and sent folders separately, so whichever folder you look at, you only see half the thread.

Maybe there are arguments for the latter but none spring to my mind. Is this something to do with how IMAP thinks?

Adrian.

Offline rosali

Gmail-style threading
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:05:50 AM »
It is not perfect. But a solution would be to chose the option:

"Place replies in the folder of the message being replied to"

You will still miss your initial messages unless you make your INBOX as Sent Folder or you chose this option every time when sending a message.
Regards,
Rosali

Offline AdrianMay

Gmail-style threading
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:29:18 AM »
Inbox as sent folder? I guess that means I only have one folder altogether. Sounds like a possibility. How do I do it?

Adrian.

Offline rosali

Gmail-style threading
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 01:17:36 PM »
It should be configurable in main.inc.php.
Regards,
Rosali

Offline brunodegoyrans

Re: Gmail-style threading
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 09:23:15 AM »
Hi

I'am a newbie. And like lot of people, I just want to migrate from GMAIL.
I've read lot of forum threads about this issue. And this is still not clear to me.

I have successfully installed roundcube on my server.
As a first step, I have pointed to gmail imap server. In a second step, I plan to use my own imap server, so I will be totally dependent from GMAIL.

But for the moment, I would like to show the threads, like GMAIL does.

1) 1st issue: on the messages list, owncloud shows me some arrow icon "replied" on a column to show that I have answered to a mail. But I have no simple way to display my answer. I only see the original message that I replied to. How can I simply display my answer?

2) On bottom of messages list, I have 2 icons "List" and "Threads". But they are both grey. Why these options seem to be deactivated?