Author Topic: Lack of Skins  (Read 6671 times)

Offline GreenLED

Lack of Skins
« on: November 09, 2011, 12:46:06 AM »
I have perused through this forum looking at the various skins available. Interesting the lack of skins. I saw the post regarding the changes to new versions -- how developers stop at a certain version because it seems like the newer versions leave their efforts int he dust as far as the template engine is concerned (I'm not even sure if there is a template engine tbh, just saying).

I wonder if we can't begin a project and fund it in some tangible way to solve this problem.

This factor is really the biggest in not completely moving over to RoundCube as a main-stay for many of my clients and my own usage as well. The issue I run into is that many of the default and provided skins suffer from a lack of clear, simple and intuitive designs. I think what we need is a clean skin design with simple SHORT wording (Contacts instead of Address Book -- that's so 90s, Preferences or Options or Settings instead of "User Preferences") and a selection of colors (variants).

I think the closet theme that meets some of these requirements is the "MobileCube" theme I saw and installed on my test site (xgmail.net). I like it, but it has a ways to go as far as getting things really polished. Poor and clumped spacing is a pet-peeve of mine. I can't stand themes that take no thought for standardizing the spacing between elements ont he page. I don't know if it's just my browser, but this theme looks sub-par for me in Chrome.

Oh, the days of Firefox ... I remember doing so much of my web development in that browser. Now, these sites have to abide by 3 or 4 or 5 different browsers. Crazy. I'm just rambling now, so someone else talk. :)