Author Topic: MailServer Bounce feature.  (Read 7716 times)

Offline flosoft

• http://flosoft.biz
MailServer Bounce feature.
« on: December 03, 2006, 04:28:40 PM »
Apple Mail has this cool feature to bounce mail back via the server. This is really great to fight spam.
It would be a great addition to Roundcube.

Offline jason|xoxide

Re: MailServer Bounce feature.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 05:41:11 PM »
That would be pretty cool, especially if you could select multiple messages and bounce them all at once. What bounce message would it send though?
Jason Litka
Utter Ramblings

Offline flosoft

• http://flosoft.biz
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 05:46:41 PM »
Well the bounce message is sent via the Mailserver afaik. You would need to look at Apple Mail for that.

Offline jbedford

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 07:31:26 AM »
Could you try and integrate something like this perl script that "bounces" emails sent to stdin (e.g. you press a "bounce" icon, rc sends the email to the pl script and deletes it)?

http://www.spots.ab.ca/~gary/mail-bounce/

Offline SteveE

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 12:07:27 PM »
I own several domains and have to say please don't bounce spam back to the sender, almost all the time the From/ReplyTo fields are spoofed using legit domains with invalid user names (I've seen them even use real user names to make it worse).
So between my postmaster accounts and users complaining that they never sent the email bouncing spam to the given address is a bad practice. I can forward you all my bounce backs for 24 hours if you'd like to see ;D

I'm usually not narrow minded but I don't see a use for this feature that 'reply' can't do (maybe for mass replies...there's a thought, if you don't want to go the mailing list route)

Offline jpingle

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 01:02:33 PM »
I own several domains and have to say please don't bounce spam back to the sender, almost all the time the From/ReplyTo fields are spoofed using legit domains with invalid user names (I've seen them even use real user names to make it worse).
So between my postmaster accounts and users complaining that they never sent the email bouncing spam to the given address is a bad practice. I can forward you all my bounce backs for 24 hours if you'd like to see

I agree, bouncing back to spam does not help in the least.

Spambots don't care about SMTP errors, let alone read bounces. Even if a mail is rejected outright it still will get spam from the same sources constantly. I have one mail alias on my domain that I deactivated for 4 years, it still gets a ton of spam if I turn it back on.

The only thing that a bounce feature would fool is an actual human that you are trying to avoid. ;)