Author Topic: Why don't any of the icon sets have text labels?  (Read 27713 times)

Offline joe

Why don't any of the icon sets have text labels?
« on: December 05, 2006, 04:15:30 PM »
Why don't any of the icon sets have text labels?

I have customers who are confused by roundcube simply because the icon sets don't have TEXT LABELS. I really like the thunderbird and tango icon sets, but the lack of TEXT LABELS on the icons prevents me from using roundcube as a replacement for squirrelmail.

It would be really nice to see really simple labels  NEW REPLY SEND BACK, etc... on these icon sets.

I do realize that english isn't the only language in the world, and I can also see where publishing language packs would get bothersome. I also realize that I can modify them using an editor.

/whinge

Offline bpat1434

• Administrator
Re: Why don't any of the icon sets have text labels?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 11:24:19 PM »
Well, one reason is that if you put the text into the icon (as in part of the image) then you have to have a different set for each language. This can really become difficult to maintain, as well as bloat the package.

The other reason is that it hasn't really been discussed. I wouldn't mind seeing it set as a user-option of whether there are text-labels under the image or not. THis way, each user can control it; and it can be incorporated into the language files which makes it really easy to update.

If you're good with PHP, you may make a try at modding the current RC SVN build and write to the dev-list about your mod and what it does.

Offline jcwacky

Offline ccholewiak

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 12:56:16 PM »
Since this IS open source and we seem to have a GREAT community so far, I would think
that users from each language would be willing to donate a little time to create a text
icon set in their language( from a default icon set) but this would require a nice file set
to use, and a standard one (then go from there) ;)

Offline bpat1434

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 12:58:32 PM »
But why do that? Then the package grows with every language. The proper way to do it is to use the alt attribute to the image, and maybe show a tool-tip after specified delay which would be the text-label in the user's language. Having 10,000 different icon sets makes no sense, especially since there's no way to easily switch between themes yet, let alone icon sets.

Offline zdali

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 06:15:31 PM »
I think i have a fairly elegant solution for this problem.

Basic idea is to extend the labels.inc.php with short labels for all the toolbar buttons and use label="foo" in the roundcube object tags. Some css tweaks would be necessary to center align images with text.

In first instance this can be controlled by the template files but eventually an option could be added to personal settings to control the behaviour.

I've got a working prototype for this which I will clean up over next few days for use with default skin.

dali

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 09:01:24 PM »
Yes I have done that for my new theme if you need any help you can pm me.

Offline youds

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 04:39:05 PM »
PHP's gettext (http://www.php.net/gettext) would be useful for this too

Offline calande

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 08:37:13 PM »
As long as icons display the title when you pass your mouse over, your customers should be happy.

ie: