Author Topic: idea of identities  (Read 4437 times)

Offline Pantani

idea of identities
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:58:36 AM »
I'm using rcmail 0.7 from source. I setup everything but don't understand the identitities_level feature in main.inc.php
and the identities generally. What this exactly means?

I want to create a new mail, but even if I have identities_level = 3, I can specify the From: address and even if I
don't enter any, I'm noticed with message box, that I must enter some From: address. Why?? Because I can enter ANY
address for example something like 'nonexistent@ourdomain.com' if I really want (the only domain part is checked).

How is the idea of this? Am I missing something or do I have to configure something more?
According to me, the textbox for entering ANY email address should be replaced with label 'myownemail@address.com' and
link for editing identities should disappear...

Regards

Offline alec

idea of identities
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 07:31:45 AM »
Identities are for assigning different names to the same email address, but also for using different addresses (aliases). With identities_level = 3 you shouldn't be able to enter other than your default email address.

Offline Pantani

idea of identities
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 09:21:08 AM »
Thank you for your explanation.
But I'm able to enter ANY email address, that I want. Now I created an email with "someone@ourdomain.com" and the mail was sent and normally delivered.

This is a part of my config file with identities section. And believe, that this file is used as a config file, because I have tried to change the password to the database and login failed and vice versa.

// Set identities access level:
// 0 - many identities with possibility to edit all params
// 1 - many identities with possibility to edit all params but not email address
// 2 - one identity with possibility to edit all params
// 3 - one identity with possibility to edit all params but not email address
$rcmail_config['identities_level'] = 3;

This way I'm unable to change the mail address under "Edit identities" (or "Manage identities" - I have this in locale language) - I can only view the profiles, cannot edit. But in the textbox I can enter whatever email address do I want!
The basic question is, why do I have to enter some mail address? This shlouldn't be filled in automatically?

Offline alec

idea of identities
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 11:44:45 AM »
In compose screen you should have a select box not input field. Disable all plugins.

Offline Pantani

idea of identities
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 01:58:57 AM »
OK, so now I have this - see below - and the text box (not select box) is still there. The virtuser_query does IMHO nothing with the text box and I need in to login.

// ----------------------------------
// PLUGINS
// ----------------------------------

// List of active plugins (in plugins/ directory)
$rcmail_config['plugins'] = array('virtuser_query');

And this is output html code copied from text browser source view window:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 02:40:22 AM by Pantani »

Offline Pantani

idea of identities
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 03:19:53 AM »
I'm unable to uderstand the idea of things maybe...
When I change the line in program/step/mail/compose.inc "if (count($MESSAGE->identities))" to "if (count($MESSAGE->identities) == 0)", the select box apears, but it's empty.
The logged in user must have a special identity somewhere??

Offline Pantani

idea of identities
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 04:28:03 AM »
Successfully done! Thank you for help! I was missing the user's identity.
But I don't understand why the logged in user email is not used as a default identity and I must create a default identity for every email that I log in.

Offline alec

idea of identities
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 05:05:00 AM »
Default identity is created on first login. Maybe your virtuser_query plugin configuration is not complete/wrong.

Editovat identity