Author Topic: Two questions....  (Read 3593 times)

Offline bjorntj

Two questions....
« on: March 05, 2012, 05:47:16 AM »
I have used Roundcube for awhile now and it works great... :)

But I see you say that the DB should use UTF-8, any reasons for this? ( I have never used UTF-8 for the db and never had any problems...)

Also, when upgrading from an old version, there is nothing in the db that I need to preserve? I can start with a fresh db without loosing anything? (except for address book?)

Regards,

BTJ
Someone wrote:
"I understand that if you play a Windows CD backwards you hear strange Satanic messages"
To which someone replied:
"It's even worse than that; play it forwards and it installs Windows"

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Two questions....
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:09:45 AM »
The reason why UTF-8 is recommended is because other formats can have problems with other character sets, for example: http://www.roundcubeforum.net/5-release-support/17-pending-issues/8621-problem-sending-e-mails-attached-files-german-umlaut-filename.html so I guess the question is why wouldn't you want to use UFT-8? Off the top of my head I can't think of any critical information that is kept the database other than the contacts, contact groups, account preferences, and plugin data so I other than that I think you could start with a fresh DB, but as always backup the database before the upgrade.

Offline bjorntj

Two questions....
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 07:20:20 AM »
The reason is that we still use ISO-8859-1 as our encoding and haven't found a good enough reason to change it yet... :)

btw, can I keep the db and upgrade from 0.4.x to 0.8.x? (I see there is much info in the db, contact, identities and contactgroups that our users seems to be using? Or can I insert the old data using sql insert after starting with a fresh db?

BTJ
Someone wrote:
"I understand that if you play a Windows CD backwards you hear strange Satanic messages"

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
Two questions....
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 03:39:36 PM »
You can keep the current database just run the mysql queries below your current version in the sql upgrade file.

Offline bjorntj

Two questions....
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 05:16:07 AM »
I don't use MySQL but found it, thx... :)

BTJ
Someone wrote:

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
Two questions....
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 05:39:33 AM »
Sorry I tried to not be database specific ("current version in the sql upgrade") but it sliped out, out of curiosity what are you using?

Offline bjorntj

Two questions....
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 05:36:06 PM »
I only use the best, PostgreSQL... ;)

BTJ
Someone wrote:

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
Two questions....
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 10:06:21 AM »
Interesting to see another happy PostgreSQL user, not all that happy with MySQL lately and considering switching. Out of curiosity do you have a large user base on PostgreSQL?

Offline bjorntj

Two questions....
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 01:08:02 AM »
Not so large userbase using Roundcube... But I am a  developer and I have been using PostgreSQL on all my/our projects the last 10 years... :)

And btw, if you are worried that PostgreSQL can't handle the load don't be... It's built to handle lots of data.... :)

BTJ
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:48:27 AM by bjorntj »
Someone wrote:

Offline corbosman

Two questions....
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 05:41:33 AM »
We use postgres for RC with a few hundred thousand users in the DB.