Author Topic: Altered message bodies after move vBulletin -> SMF  (Read 7867 times)

Offline myfreexp

Altered message bodies after move vBulletin -> SMF
« on: April 05, 2012, 03:25:11 PM »
Sorry for problem, we just moved from vBulletin to SMF [...] let me know if you run into any other problems.

I don't understand the move anyway, as from my POV vBulletin is the much better forum software, and there is indeed another problem: Message bodies have been altered upon the move from vBulletin to SMF.

I first realized it in this thread:

http://www.roundcubeforum.net/index.php/topic,9439.0.html

In this initial message of the thread, the visible text reads like this:

• If the user enters an address in the format "Real Name " (without the quote signs, of course), RC is complaining about an invalid address (although the address is perfectly valid).

This statement does not make any sense. In fact, what I wrote, was:

• If the user enters an address in the format "Real Name <local.part@do.main>" (without the quote signs, of course), RC is complaining about an invalid address (although the address is perfectly valid).

See...? The <local.part@do.main> part is missing in the display now.

But much to my surprise, it's still there if you quote the message. Then all of a sudden, you'll see in the compose window:

Code: [Select]
[quote][LIST][*]If the user enters an address in the format "Real Name <local.part@do.main>" (without the quote signs, of course), RC is complaining about an invalid address (although the address is perfectly valid).[/LIST][/quote]
The <local.part@do.main> is there, in the quote! Hmm, strange this...

On another occasion, I realized that in my private messages, some characters are escaped with a backslash now. So "don't" for instance does now read as "don\'t". This seems not to be the case with public messages.

Anyway, the vB2SMF conversion routine is apparently buggy.

Can all of this be fixed automatically, or will I have to edit and correct my own public messages myself?

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Altered message bodies after move vBulletin -> SMF
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 07:11:15 PM »
The move to SMF was for several reasons. First because vB is proprietary only the forum owner could update it and he didn't have time to always keep it up to date, with the move to SMF I can keep it up to date which will help keep the forum and server secure. Second the vB forum was having a serious problem was spam, I know there are ways of mitigating it in vB but it was never setup and I couldn't set it up. Third SMF is cheaper then vB and for what we use the forum for it doesn't validate the cost of vB. Finally IMHO the theme engine in SMF is way better then the one in vB.

I see the problem your talking about but I think it probably best not to attempted an automatic fix as that could break more then it would fix, same with the PMs. On all of the affected messages you can just hit edit and then save to get back the missing parts. All migrations I've ever seen have had some problems and I think its better to move on then to dwell on the past, at least now we have a stable virus free platform for the forum.