Author Topic: Every plugin I attempt to run = blank screen?  (Read 7293 times)

Offline hamiltonzth

Every plugin I attempt to run = blank screen?
« on: June 05, 2012, 05:11:16 PM »
I've tried implementing several plugins on my installation of roundcube. Namely: globaladressbook and plugin_manager.

I follow the instructions to the T (honestly not rocket science.) but whenever I enable the plugin, roundcube just outright seems to crash.

Any ideas?

Offline Volnhar

• http://www.andrew.stoker.name/wp
Re: Every plugin I attempt to run = blank screen?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 08:02:32 PM »
Hi, I've been going through this process lately as well of getting all of the plugins I want working. I am using the RC8 though, but the same process should work for you for .7.2 as well.

Your best option is to remove all plugins from your main config file and load just the plugin manager  plugin and global config if you are using this one as well. (I decided for the time being not to use the global config and have the configs in each plugin folder.)

Also be aware that some plugins wont work with the plugin manager, so see which ones come with RC and which come with the plugin manager. I've still found for me anyway that even some plugins are better commented out in the plugin manager config and loaded in your main config file.

Now enable logging in your main config, and use file, you can now check your /logs/error.log file for issues with your plugins when you activate them.

What I did was to do set up one plugin at a time, restart Apache, refresh the login page, check the error log for anything, then login, check the error log again, then depending on the plugin activate it, check error log, use the plugins function, check the error log.

This was I was able to either update the plugin if there were depreciated hooks (most common error) or fix what ever other error there might be.

Also make sure that you have the latest version of all of the plugins you are using.

It has taken me around a week during the evenings to get just about everything I want to work now, my php experience isn't the greatest, but I am a programmer so I can general work out what to fix.

Another suggestion, make plenty of back ups, both files and of your database.

Enjoy.

Offline Yoni

• MyRoundcube
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 04:24:01 AM »
plugin_manager is currently available for 0.7.2 only. There is work in progress as I type here to come up with a 0.8 release as soon as possible.

The most common issue that I've seen with plugin_manager (and honestly the only one because I have deployed at least 30 installations with it on *NIX and Windows servers) is misconfiguration. I'm convinced that users getting this plugin are not taking the time to go over the plugin's configuration, mainly because they do not understand it at first. I tried to document it as much as I possibly could and Rosali has worked really hard to bring this together.

As mentioned above, read your error log and that will give you an idea of what has gone south.

Here is the documentation for it: http://unlockforus.com/myroundcube-plugins/documentation/plugin_manager

Please scroll down and read the <property_key’> <property_value> table at the end of that page.

It is not complicated at all once you have successfully installed and configured it once. Feel free to post in my blog what issues you are having and I will do my best to try to help out. This also give us a better idea of what the user isn't doing or understanding hence we can act accordingly. You can use the contact form and send me an e-mail if you don't feel like posting. It is all the same as long as you can get it to work.

I'll make a video to try to help some more.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:29:27 AM by Yoni »

Offline hamiltonzth

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
After looking through the error log, I have a slew of PHP errors popping up.

For instance:
[05-Jun-2012 13:51:47 -0700]: PHP Error: Failed to load plugin file /home/clearwin/**.com/mail/plugins/google_ads/google_ads.php in /home/clearwin/**.com/mail/program/include/rcube_plugin_api.php on line 196 (GET /mail/)

That specific plugin isn't called in my config, so I would imagine it's being called by plugin_manager itself.

Offline hamiltonzth

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 03:24:48 PM »
Got it, some plugins called by default in plugin_manager were not included in my install. Also globaladdressbook was using "rcube" when it should be "rcmail."

All sorted out now thankfully.

Offline Volnhar

• http://www.andrew.stoker.name/wp
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 08:15:34 PM »
Hi Yoni,

Completely agree misconfiguration of plugin manager is the cause of most headaches.

I've been using RC for years now and all of Rosli's set of plugins as well. It took me a little while to get the configuration for the new plugin manager right, plus fix some of the conflicts with other plugins I had installed.

I am using the RC8, and it looks like the plugin manager has also been updated as it now includes the larry skin as well.

plugin_manager is currently available for 0.7.2 only. There is work in progress as I type here to come up with a 0.8 release as soon as possible.

The most common issue that I've seen with plugin_manager (and honestly the only one because I have deployed at least 30 installations with it on *NIX and Windows servers) is misconfiguration.

Offline Yoni

• MyRoundcube
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 10:42:36 PM »
The mirror was updated with the latest work just a couple days ago. At this point most MyRoundcube plugins work for 0.8-rc has been completed although there is still work to be done to fully support larry skin. See my demo

Indeed, plugin_manager is powerful, very well thought and has been extensively tested. Add global_config to your install and if you have it in production on a server with at least +10 users active at any time, you will definitely appreciate this combo (global_config+plugin_manager) and your users will be a lot happier. I have personally received a great amount of positive feedback from several end-users from previous deployments. Additionally, your Roundcube will be snappier and less resource intensive server wise.

From the admin side perspective, it makes it painless for admins to keep plugins up-to-date and conveniently grouped in just one location. Last but not least, we also have the Online Translation Tool and the Real-Time Translation Tool which is, in my personal  opinion, priceless. You can translate in real-time and your translations are live for everyone to download it in a blink of an eye.

Please, just take five minutes to read, ask and understand this plugin because the only real issue that we've seen so far has been end-user misconfiguration which is very common since we cannot expect everyone to understand it right off the bat.