Author Topic: connection to storage server failed  (Read 72383 times)

Offline bluethundr

connection to storage server failed
« on: June 30, 2012, 10:29:43 AM »
Hello,

I've been running roundcube webmail for a number of months and have been very happy with it. But the most recent time I tried to login, it failed and I got an error message stating that "connection to the storage server failed".

And this is what I see in the logs

Code: [Select]
[30-Jun-2012 10:17:22 -0400]: IMAP Error: Login failed for bluethundr@nylsd.com from xx.xx.xx.xx. Could not connect to beta.mydomain.com:143: Connection timed out in /var/www/jf-current/roundcubemail-0.8-beta/program/include/rcube_imap.php on line 191 (POST /webmail/?_task=login&_action=login)

Which is odd, because roundcube is running on a local file system, not any kind of NFS share.

I'm not sure how to find out the version number of roundcube sorry, but the server I'm running it on is a centos 5.7 server with postfix 2.9.1 with courier-imap 4.10 with courier-authlib 0.62 with users stored in a mysql 5.5.23 back end.

I was able to successfully connect to IMAP on the command line using telnet and login and make full use of the mailbox in question. What does this error mean and how can I fix this? Is there any more information that I can provide that might help troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks
Tim

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: connection to storage server failed
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 04:25:18 PM »
Enable imap_debug and post the log.

Offline alec

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 02:38:34 AM »
Log will say nothing because connection fails (beta.mydomain.com:143: Connection timed out).
@bluethundr: can you connect using telnet beta.mydomain.com 143?

Offline bluethundr

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 10:42:37 AM »
Hi there

Yep! I can connect to 143 from a remote source (my laptop)

[dunphy@localhost:~] #telnet beta.mydomain.com 143
Trying 198.xx.xx...
Connected to beta.mydomain.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2011 Double Precision, Inc.  See COPYING for distribution information.
a1 LOGIN bluethundr@mydomain.com test
a1 OK LOGIN Ok.

Offline bluethundr

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 11:07:35 AM »
Enable imap_debug and post the log.

I've enabled debugging in the logs as per the courier documentation, but this is all I see and it does not relate to imap

from /var/log/debug
Jul  2 10:55:53 beta xinetd[9181]: START: nrpe pid=25593 from=107.22.xx.xx
Jul  2 10:55:53 beta xinetd[9181]: START: nrpe pid=25594 from=107.22.xx.xx
Jul  2 10:55:53 beta xinetd[9181]: EXIT: nrpe status=0 pid=25593 duration=0(sec)
Jul  2 10:55:53 beta xinetd[9181]: EXIT: nrpe status=0 pid=25594 duration=0(sec)

[root@beta:~] #grep -i debug /etc/authlib/authdaemonrc
##NAME: DEBUG_LOGIN:0
# DEBUG_LOGIN=0   - turn off debugging
# DEBUG_LOGIN=1   - turn on debugging
# DEBUG_LOGIN=2   - turn on debugging + log passwords too
# ** YES ** - DEBUG_LOGIN=2 places passwords into syslog.
# Note that most information is sent to syslog at level 'debug', so
DEBUG_LOGIN=2

I made sure to bounce the courier-authlib and courier-imap services after verifying that these were set

[root@beta:~] #grep -i debug /etc/syslog.conf
mail.debug                                                      -/var/log/maillog
*.debug                                                 /var/log/debug

And bounced syslog after setting the third line you see here (*.debug /var/log/debug).

Nothing at all happens in /var/log/mailllog when I try to login. The above that I show you is from /var/log/debug

Connection to storage server failed

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:12:38 AM by bluethundr »

Offline alec

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 11:43:54 AM »
Can you connect from the host where webmail is installed?

Offline bluethundr

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 03:33:49 PM »
Can you connect from the host where webmail is installed?

Yep, I can connect from the host where webmail is installed also

[root@beta:~] #telnet localhost 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2011 Double Precision, Inc.  See COPYING for distribution information.
a1 LOGIN bluethundr@mydomain.com test
a1 OK LOGIN Ok.

Offline alec

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 02:16:42 AM »
The question was about beta.mydomain.com not localhost.

Offline bluethundr

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 04:38:38 PM »
The question was about beta.mydomain.com not localhost.

Sorry if I misunderstood the question. I tried to telnet to localhost on 143 from the server where roundcube was installed and succeeded. But when I try to telnet to beta.mydomain.com from on 143 from the same machine I am unable to connect.

[root@beta:~] #telnet beta.jokefire.com 143
Trying 198.101.192.79...
telnet: connect to address 198.101.192.79: Connection timed out

Not sure why this would be as I can telnet to 143 from my local machine.

[dunphy@localhost:~] #telnet beta.jokefire.com 143
Trying 198.101.216.47...
Connected to beta.example.com.
a1 LOGIN bluethundr@example.com test
a1 OK LOGIN Ok.

Hold the phone.. found it! It was a hosts file entry.. sigh.. shoot me now!! :)

Offline Helios

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »
Same error...

IMAP log
[12-Aug-2012 01:16:35 +0300]: IMAP Error: Login failed for admin from 10.10.10.5. Empty startup greeting (10.10.10.2:143) in D:\WWW\htdocs\mail\program\include\rcube_imap.php on line 191 (POST /mail/?_task=login&_action=login)
[12-Aug-2012 01:17:33 +0300]: IMAP Error: Login failed for admin@10.10.10.2 from 10.10.10.5. Empty startup greeting (10.10.10.2:143) in D:\WWW\htdocs\mail\program\include\rcube_imap.php on line 191 (POST /mail/?_task=login&_action=login)

This is happened with a new version

What's wrong?

PS! Email-server is hmail 5.3.3-b1879

Offline TheBearAk

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 07:43:38 PM »
For me, this problem was on the mail server.   On the mail server I can create "mail" directory in the users home directory and it works fine from then on.

My set up is mail server is a debian linux machine and I have a separate linux box running the roundcube. 

The mail directory in the users home must have the permissions for the user to read/write to it.

Offline TheBearAk

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 07:46:12 PM »
I should mention, there should be a more permanent solution to this so that RoundCube can create the mail directory automatically.

If you run your mail server and roundcube on the same server, then this should not be an issue.

Offline grizable

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 12:13:50 PM »
Hello,

I've been running roundcube webmail for a number of months and have been very happy with it. But the most recent time I tried to login, it failed and I got an error message stating that "connection to the storage server failed".

And this is what I see in the logs

[30-Jun-2012 10:17:22 -0400]: IMAP Error: Login failed for bluethundr@nylsd.com from xx.xx.xx.xx. Could not connect to beta.mydomain.com:143: Connection timed out in /var/www/jf-current/roundcubemail-0.8-beta/program/include/rcube_imap.php on line 191 (POST /webmail/?_task=login&_action=login)

Which is odd, because roundcube is running on a local file system, not any kind of NFS share.

I'm not sure how to find out the version number of roundcube sorry, but the server I'm running it on is a centos 5.7 server with postfix 2.9.1 with courier-imap 4.10 with courier-authlib 0.62 with users stored in a mysql 5.5.23 back end.

I was able to successfully connect to IMAP on the command line using telnet and login and make full use of the mailbox in question. What does this error mean and how can I fix this? Is there any more information that I can provide that might help troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks
Tim

I logged into my Roundcube account online and went to Settings, Server Settings, then check 'If moving messages to Trash fails, delete them'

Offline forexengineer89

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 03:23:41 AM »
Why when we wanna use the function "find" and we key in the keywords then it loading.

lastly it keep apear "Connection to storage server failed" why ya?
we seem can sent, can load the inbox. but when it wanna use that function, then we are facing the bad thing,