Author Topic: Hosting Question  (Read 4219 times)

Offline jwh400

Hosting Question
« on: January 28, 2013, 06:30:10 PM »
Hello all,

I found a thread on hosting services but it was a bit dated so I didn't know if I should bump it back to the top or start a new one.

My question is a little different in that I'd like to know if anyone here is using or has used StartLogic as a host. I've been with them since 2005 and they're good for hosting pics or galleries but seem to be unable to run content managers, websites, or anything else for that matter due to horrible connection speeds. I installed Roundcube about a week ago and it's dreadfully slow. Going from mail to contacts can take 30 to 45 seconds, even opening an email will take that long. I experienced the same thing when I tried to run a Wordpress blog from there a few years back.

I know these are shared servers and they're crammed full of sites but does anyone else experience this from the low cost plans or is this just a Startlogic problem? I read a lot of comments about the various host's features like storage, bandwidth, and uptime but nothing about the actual connection speeds so that's really my question. If you're using Startlogic do you have the same problem and if you're using another host, how is the connection speed on the low cost plans.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 08:08:07 PM by SKaero »

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Hosting Question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 08:13:58 PM »
StartLogic is just a overcrowded web host which is main reason why there slow. I'd recommend finding a new web host, take a look at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ read reviews and you should easily be able to find a good place. One more piece of advice, never use a host with unlimited space/bandwidth because there is no such thing as an unlimited hard drive.

Offline jwh400

Re: Hosting Question
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 08:48:20 PM »
Thanks for the link and yes, I know the unlimited storage/bandwidth features are simply gimmicks but unfortunately the gimmicky plans are the ones in my price range. Hopefully Web Hosting Talk can steer me in the right direction. Thanks again.
 :)