Author Topic: Set “From” field automatically to the ID the message was sent to when replying?  (Read 8290 times)

Offline Tayku

Hello!
I’d like to know if it is possible to set the from field, when replying to an e-mail, automatically to the same address the replied message was sent to. Currently Roundcube only uses the first identity in the list of identities.

An example: my standard identity is address1@domain.de, but someone sent me a mail to address2@domain.de.  I would like to have Roundcube being smart enough, when I click on reply, that the to-address is taken automatically and that the full ID is preset in the “from” field for my reply. In this case, “address2@domain.de”. Also, when a mail is sent to “My name <myaddress@domain.de>”, the same string should be set when replying (address and name).

The current (standard) behaviour is kind of stupid because I cannot (and won’t) set all of my possible e-mail addresses as single identities in Roundcube. That would be dozens, because I have an own domain and would like to seperate mail traffic by the address. (This also prevents spam and can identify the responsible person, who gave my address away, should I ever receive spam on any specific address.)

I already use the “custom from” plugin to set the sender ID manually, which is ok for the first mail in a conversation, but for every follow-up mail it would be time saving and convenient if Roundcube just uses the address that is already available in the mail I reply to. I found this old thread where it stated that my wish should be possible / standard behaviour, but there’s no solution and I cannot find the option. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
Roundcube does this automatically for me in 0.9-rc. I have no special plugins or config. It just works.
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Works for me, it may not work for you because of the "custom from" plugin though I can't say for sure.

Offline Tayku

Works for me, it may not work for you because of the "custom from" plugin though I can't say for sure.
I deactivated all plugins, same behaviour. :(
One reason could be that I'm still using the last RC0.7 release, but given the linked thread from my original post, where another user wanted this in 2010, the answer also was "it should work". At that time RC0.8 wasn't even in beta status. So why does this not work here with 0.7?

Every other mail program (e.g. Thunderbird) gives the user a text field (pre-filled), where he can enter or edit the “From” entry. But Roundcube only gives me a drop-down list of all identites I previously have set up. In standard RC I even cannot edit the field (only with custom from plugin), and when replying, the content of the original “To” field is not taken. Of course, because it's not in the list of identities …

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
If the address isn't in the identities then of course it can't send from it, that behavior makes sense.

Offline Tayku

If the address isn't in the identities then of course it can't send from it, that behavior makes sense.
Yes, but it’s limited to a specific workflow and restricts the user.

As I stated in my original posting, I have dozens of e-mail addresses. It is very impractical to add every single one to the identities list. Also I have wildcard address like “shopping-*@domain.de”, so I even don’t know how many there are in use. If e.g. some shopping website sends me an e-mail, I would like to reply immediately without having to add the address first to the identity list, just click “Reply”.

I hope you see that this is another workflow, and that Roundcube restricts me very much in this. Am I the only one here who uses his own domain to have several wildcard mail addresses?

From a technical point of view: you are right, the behaviour is correct if the original address is in the identities list. So there is a procedure that compares the address and the identities. But if no address is found, it would be a useful feature just to use this address instead of using the standard identity, because the latter is not the address the mail was originally sent to. Desktop clients like Thunderbird offer this possibility OOTB and additionally let the user select one of the addresses from the ID list. So you have both features in one.

The “custom from” plugin alleviates the problem, for I am able to manually enter a mail address. But it’s still impracticale for replying because first I have to copy the original to-address, then reply, then paste it in the field. An automatic solution would be appreciated.

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
Am I the only one here who uses his own domain to have several wildcard mail addresses?
I'd venture to say that this is a rather unusual situation. I can't recall hearing of anyone doing things quite this way before.
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline alec

Offline Tayku

Oh sorry, I should have had a look into the bug tracker. :-[
Thanks for selecting and posting some of these. Especially the first one states in the last posting that “custom from” should work the way I needed. Maybe I need to upgrade the plugin (or upgrade RC to 0.8.x). I will test this after my work day.

Offline Tayku

*curses*
The Custom From plugin in its newest version 1.3 does everything I mentioned as feature wish in this topic. My bad, excuse me for not looking in the bug tracker. Everything is fine. :)