Author Topic: moving stored email from one hosting to another...?  (Read 7028 times)

Offline smallhagrid

moving stored email from one hosting to another...?
« on: March 05, 2013, 10:29:04 PM »
Hi.
I have RC installed and working fine on some shared hosting - trouble is, the hosting goes down ALOT.

So, I'd like to move all my stored data to another hosting service which is ready for my use.

After making a full backup and transferring it to the new account, their tech support tells me the backup file will not restore and that it may be corrupted or incorrectly formatted.

This has been attempted 3 times by tech support at the new host and failed each time.

Please tell me:
Is there another way I can manually grab all my stored emails from RC, copy this data to the new hosting and somehow make a user account see all the saved data as it has been up till now on the old host ??

Thanks for any help.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: moving stored email from one hosting to another...?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 10:35:25 PM »
There isn't a great option to do it through RoundCube, do both hosts uses cPanel?

Offline smallhagrid

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 01:09:12 PM »
Hi SKaero and thanks.
Yes they do both use cPanel.

I tried doing this by taking a full backup from the bad one and then decompressed it on the new one.
I restored the database file separately as well.

The result is that my installation of RC appears to be present there - but I've not yet switched the domain to be live on the new hosting so there's no way to test that installation that I know of.

Is there a better or more direct way that I can do all this ??

I ask because my emails are still going to, and being stored at - the old hosting - and I'll need to update the stored emails until incoming emails find their way to the new hosting...

Thanks.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 07:20:21 AM »
Since both web hosts are using cPanel you should be able to move the /mail folder over to the new host. The /mail folder is were all of the email is stored.

Offline herrwinter

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 06:37:08 AM »
You can try MailStore Home.
It can backup IMAP-accounts and restore to other accounts. And it is free for personal use.
http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstore-home.aspx

Offline smallhagrid

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 10:41:41 PM »
Thanks Again SKaero:
Since both web hosts are using cPanel you should be able to move the /mail folder over to the new host. The /mail folder is were all of the email is stored.
Looks like that worked OK, but now the question changes a bit, please...
Background:
The hosting has an install of RC via cPanel, but it is not as I want it to be, so I installed my own instance accessible via a subdomain in my account there, and this has been fine at the 1st hosting (so long as their server was up).

Now that it is on a new server I cannot log into my own install of RC.
It says: 'Connection to storage server failed.'
The hosting's account error log shows:
'client denied by server configuration: /public_html/.htaccess, referer: IExplorer
(I use FF, and that .htaccess file is 0 bytes ???)
The RC error log remains empty.

I wonder, since RC was installed at the 1st host by Softaculous, and then restored at the new host by a cpmove backup taken from the 1st hosting - do I need to remove/reinstall RC to get it's settings right ?
I just sent it a test email from off domain and it arrived fine as verified by the host's webmail - is there any other test I should make ??

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:56:45 PM by smallhagrid »

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 11:29:18 AM »
Most likely the server configuration is a little different, I'd recommend doing a fresh install since there have been several odd things related to Softaculous installs of RoundCube.

Offline smallhagrid

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 12:16:42 PM »
Thanks.
That means I'll need to remove the existing one...
What then happens to the existing database & sotred mail, please ??

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 03:59:52 PM »
Make sure you have a backup before doing anything. Emails aren't stored in the RoundCube database only the address book and user settings. To my knowledge Softaculous uses the default database so you could do a partial install (keep the same database but with a fresh set of files) if the version you have is current of near current.