Author Topic: Two Issues: Default Display Name / Login Username  (Read 3619 times)

Offline cparker

Two Issues: Default Display Name / Login Username
« on: March 06, 2007, 02:18:01 PM »
Hello,

I love what's been done with RoundCube. It's by far the best webmail solution I've used so far. However, there are a couple of issues that I'd like to see corrected with my setup, and I don't know if it's a problem with RoundCube, with the mail server configuration, or the way the accounts are being created.

I often use Virtualmin to create and manage virtual servers on my machine. When a new virtual host is created, it is assigned to a UNIX user (unixuser). Any mail accounts created under this virtual host are given the username acctname.unixuser. This is the name the users of these accounts must use to log in to check their mail. Is there a way to make it so these users only have to type in their username part of their e-mail address? I don't want users to have to memorize odd naming setups that really don't make much sense. Their username should be their username.

Also, when a new user is created (again, through Virtualmin), I have the option of setting up their display name from there. However, when that user uses RoundCube for the first time, their display name defaults to their login name (acctname.unixuser). This is extremely unfriendly. Why doesn't RoundCube recognize the display name I specify from account creation, which is what's in /etc/passwd?

So, again, my main question would first be: Are these issues related to RoundCube, the mail server (I use a combination of Sendmail and Dovecot), or Virtualmin's own methods of account management?

Other than these two issues, RoundCube is great. Although upgrading versions could be handled more smoothly, I honestly can't complain.

Thank you.
Christopher C. Parker