Author Topic: Strange Problem: Can't Read Select Messages?  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Drinyth

Strange Problem: Can't Read Select Messages?
« on: March 06, 2007, 03:13:01 PM »
I've searched for this issue but haven't had much luck in finding an answer. It's not the easiest problem to describe, but I'll give it a try. I've been having a weird problem were after some time, I am unable to read various messages from my INBOX. Everything works normally with my config and I'm able to successfully authenticate into Roundcube and the database connects, etc. When I have this problem, I can ever see the messages that are in my INBOX, but when trying to read these messages, my browser window will just sit there spinning waiting for the webserver and never get a response back? Other messages in my INBOX open just fine. I haven't pinned it down to any particular style of message (i.e. big vs. small messages, attachments or not - it seems to be arbitrary).

Normally, I read my messages using mutt from a terminal window. I typically only open up Roundcube to view attachments or if I'm using someone elses machine and am too lazy to download putty. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

I setup some other test accounts and when my account is having problems like this, other accounts work just fine. Thinking it was something related to just my profile, I played around recreating the spool files (copying messages to a new mailbox and moving it over itself) and such. I have a hunch that it's related to something that gets stored in the MySQL database? Today when I was having the issue, I renamed the spool file and relogged into Roundcube so that my INBOX was "empty". Then, I moved it back to the original name and checked again and voila! I was able to read all the messages in the INBOX. I need to do this several more times to confirm that this does, indeed, fix the problem. But it's be nice to not to have to have to rely on this since I typically use webmail when I don't have easy access to the shell.

I'm not sure what other information is needed here. I'm running apache 2.2.3, php 5.1.6, dovecot 1.0 RC, mysql 5.0.27 on Linux (Fedora). Previously, my roundcube installation was hosted on a FreeBSD server (also typically running the latest version of the software) so I don't think it's OS related? Standalone IMAP clients work fine when I do have this issue so I don't think it's a problem with the spool file itself. I'm not sure what other information to include?

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas as to what's going on? Is there any way not to store any information about my INBOX in the MySQL database to at least see if that fixes the problem? I'm open to suggestions and willing to test different things to nail down this bug.

Thanks!

Offline Drinyth

Re: Strange Problem: Can't Read Select Messages?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 03:05:18 PM »
A couple days later and I just logged on to check my account again - same problem. Trying to open certain messages just causes my browser window to sit there and hang out.

The fix:

1. Move the spool file from /var/mail/user to /var/mail/user.bak
2. Login in to Roundcube to display an empty inbox.
3. Log out of Roundcube
4. Move the spool file back from /var/mail/user.bak to /var/mail/user
5. Log back into Roundcube
6. Read messages that I couldn't read before.

Weird.