Author Topic: Installation issues and comments  (Read 2991 times)

Offline neil@weblator

Installation issues and comments
« on: April 12, 2007, 09:23:04 AM »
Hi everyone

Firstly, thanks to anyone who contributes to roundcube...it's by far the best web-based mail system i've ever used!

I've just installed roundcube (0.1 beta 2) for the first time (i'm a web-developer/sysadmin) and I thought it might be helpful if I posted my comments (in somewhat random order):

1. The "how-to" currently doesn't mention the file SQL/mysql.update.sql (which incidentally doesn't seem to be needed, assume this is just for people updating their roundcube installation). This is a very minor issue but could confuse some people i think.

2. SQL/mysql.initial.sql doesn't have a database specified so I had to add that in manually.

3. The "how-to" could perhaps do with a line to create the database on the MySQL CLI (e.g. create database roundcubemail;) and also to create the MySQL user (e.g. grant all privileges on roundcubemail.* to roundcube identified by 'PASSWORD';) and maybe even how to check your MySQL version (select version();).

Other than that it seemed very simple...I will post any further comments once i've got it working!

Cheers
Neil

Offline neil@weblator

Re: Installation issues and comments
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 10:19:53 AM »
OK, just found the INSTALL file in the supplied files which is more complete than the website-based "how-to" (which i was referring to earlier).

Another small comment, I (stupidly) missed the part on the "how-to" which says to save the config files as .php rather than .php.dist. This is very obvious once you realise this but it would be well worth highlighting this in bold text as I was at a bit of a loss to find the cause of the error (error 1f4) until I hacked the source code and found that the database connection had failed.

Anyway, I am now up and running on roundcube so many, many thanks once again.