Author Topic: Documentation Project: Outline Ready for Review  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Scubes13

Documentation Project: Outline Ready for Review
« on: April 20, 2007, 05:08:10 PM »
*Posting a combination of messages that I sent on the developer's mailing list - looking for additional feedback, etc.*

Hello all,

We recently released RoundCube (slightly modified) for a client of about 30 users.

They requested that I provide documentation in the form of a user guide for them.

Thus began the outlining of such a document. I began by looking at the instructions on the wiki, but then decided to just start from scratch.

My plan is this:
1 - Complete Outline of Document (Rough Draft done and submitted here.)
2 - Flesh Out Content of Outline (Form Rough Draft)
3 - Will use the rough draft to generate a step-by-step screenshot/screencast utilizing "Wink"
4 - I will take the screen shots from Wink and insert them into the overall document.
5 - Will take key parts from the document and insert them into the Wink screencast and generate an SWF series of tutorials.

A portion of my time will be covered. Another portion will be "donated".

I have attached a copy of the outline I worked on for the RoundCube documentation.

It is an outline along with a few notes. I think I have covered all the pertinent areas.

I would appreciate it if anyone that is willing would go through the document and make suggestions, etc.

There are some areas that I will need to verify how things work, etc.

I have attached a PDF copy of the document.

The document is currently on Google Docs. There are currently two others that have access to the document. If anyone else would like access to the Google Doc, just let me know.

I look forward to your replies.

Kevin L.

Offline Scubes13

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 02:28:10 PM »
The subject of a help system within RoundCube recently came up within the devel mailing list. I was just wanting to TTT this post to see if we could generate any feedback from you guys.

Thanks,
Kevin L.

Offline Bibby

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 02:20:05 AM »
Why not write them down in trac wiki?

Offline Scubes13

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:00:51 AM »
Well, it first began as a document that I was writing for our company's setup of RC. Then someone suggested via the dev list that we utilize Google Docs to collaborate on the document.

My fear/hesitation with releasing it on the Trac wiki is the fact that A) the document we began writing/outlining is written around our particular setup of RC, and therefore has items which will need to be modified/changed for a generic user guide. That being the case, I thought it might be best to keep it off the public wiki (of course, I suppose there is a way of hiding documents/pages within the trac wiki... dunno). The other reason is that I have had little to no feedback from the dev list, user list or forum communities - thus, I would be afraid to put it up and be totally off base with what the development team as a whole would wish to be on the wiki.

With that said, I suppose I will take a look at whether or not a "hidden"/temporary set of pages can be posted on the wiki.

What say others? Google Docs? Trac wiki? Other?

Thanks for the feedback Bibby!

Kevin L.

Offline Scubes13

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 12:19:50 PM »
Ok, I have now created a page on the Trac Wiki for the User Guide Outline I was working on. You can access this document at: http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/User_Guide_Outline

I have not linked this document to the main page. I am still a bit unsure as to whether I should or not. I dunno.... Anyways, it is up there. I have also attached the PDF to the wiki page. I suppose I may attach the ODT file as well.

Well, give it a look at and provide feedback and/or edit away.

I suppose we will need to modify it so that our company's specific setup information is edited out and made more generic.....

Thoughts?

Kevin L.