Author Topic: Shared Inbox Folder  (Read 6181 times)

Offline greavette

Shared Inbox Folder
« on: October 09, 2013, 06:31:10 PM »
Hello,

Is there a way to share an inbox folder using roundcube?

I use hmailsever and connect to it via roundcube (version 8.5).   Is there a way for two people with separate hmailserver accounts to share an inbox through roundcube?

Any ideas or suggestions on how I can set this up?

Thank you.

Offline canobi

Re: Shared Inbox Folder
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 01:45:05 AM »
That's entirely up to your IMAP server, nothing to do with Roundcube. I know that most of the IMAP servers that are commonly used by serious mail providers (e.g. Dovecot, Cyrus-IMAP, Courier) can be configured to provide shared inboxes.

Offline greavette

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 12:44:46 PM »
Thank you for the reply.

I realize that sharing the inbox would usually be done on the mailserver itself.  What I was hoping for was for a way to have Roundcube be configured so that each user has their own unique login but within the configuration of Roundcube each user really shares the same email servers account and thereby shares the same inbox.  It's kind of like how when using Thunderbird, each Thunderbird client can be configured by user, but behind the scenes Thunderbird can connect to the same email account (through IMAP).

Just curious if I can do the same in Roundcube?

Thanks. 

Offline canobi

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 02:16:58 AM »
I realize that sharing the inbox would usually be done on the mailserver itself.  What I was hoping for was for a way to have Roundcube be configured so that each user has their own unique login but within the configuration of Roundcube each user really shares the same email servers account and thereby shares the same inbox.  It's kind of like how when using Thunderbird, each Thunderbird client can be configured by user, but behind the scenes Thunderbird can connect to the same email account (through IMAP).

I see - you want to have one account on the IMAP server and use it with multiple roundcube login usernames? Well, you'd need to write a plugin for that, the one that intercepts login information from RC and replaces it with fixed username/password for your IMAP server. And additionally, it should store roundcube-only usernames and passwords in a new table in roundcube database (currently, no passwords are stored there because authentication is really delegated to the IMAP server). Not entirely simple because some programming is required, but definitely possible. Having said that - configuring a shared inbox on the IMAP server is definitely much simpler.

Offline greavette

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 08:41:22 AM »
Thanks very much for the reply.  Creating/writing my own plugin is something for me to look at when I get time.

Thank you.