Author Topic: Register page error  (Read 4439 times)

Offline Lucas806

Register page error
« on: November 09, 2013, 01:03:36 PM »
I am making my own email service using the Roundcube IMAP client (obviously) and have created a register page so that users can sign up for their own email address using the Roundcube register plugin. If you go to http://minemail.me/mail/?_task=dummy&_action=register you can try to register but you will see an error. Could you please help me fix this?

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
Re: Register page error
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 04:06:38 PM »
I'm not familiar with the plugin, nor hmail. But if I'm interpreting the error message correctly, it would appear that the plugin is not detecting or communicating with the hmail database.
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline Lucas806

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 04:35:07 PM »
So, do you think I am required to install the hMail server? Because I haven't installed it but on the installation guide it didn't say anything about it needing hMail.

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 06:18:04 PM »
The plugin is trying to use hmail. I don't know if it supports any other mail back-end servers. You do need a mailserver of some sort for Roundcube to connect to - what server are you planning to use?
Arne Berglund
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline Lucas806

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 06:27:07 PM »
I am probably going to use hMail as that is what the plugin uses. I haven't set up the hMail server yet because I didn't realise that a back-end email server was a must have on Roundcube. Is hMail possible to setup on shared hosting?

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 06:36:30 PM »
hMail only runs on Windows. If your shared host is Windows, it may work. You may want to contact the hoster to verify that running a public mailserver is allowed under their ToS.

Just to make clear - Roundcube is a web-based IMAP client. Other than being web-based, it is no different than any other IMAP client such as Thunderbird, Outlook, etc. Roundcube can not send or receive mail all by itself any more than Thunderbird can. All clients need a mailserver to do the real mail work.
Arne Berglund
Eugene, OR, USA